Re: [IRCA] IRCA Loop update 3

--- Craig Healy <bubba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Do you use a variable capacitor with this or just the toroid?
>
> No tuning capacitor at all.  Untuned loop.  Wideband across at least
> 100kHz
> (LORAN) to above 41m SW.  Didn't try higher yet.

*** A well-built broadband loop ( BBL ) usually also features low noise
as well. Obviously if you have an antenna tuning control on your
receiver, that can be used but probably to little effect.

We used a 6 foot wire BBL at last year's LBI DXpedition in NJ and other
than needing a preamp, which will be available this year, it was very
worthwhile. I believe we pretty much aimed it for peak toward Europe
and it worked equally well for MW and LW.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20ID