[IRCA] Copper loop update

I had a chance to do a fair bit more experimenting with that loop tonight.

As a recap, this is a single turn loop made with four 10' sections of 3/4"
copper tubing soldered with 90° elbows into a square.  I have a ferrite
toroid through which one copper tube passes.  There are about six turns of
#16 wire as an output link on the ferrite core.  The six turn figure was
pulled out of thin air, and I need to try more and maybe less turns to
optimize it.

Tonight I decided to not use the tuner, and connected the RG-8 coax directly
to the R8B input.  Wow!  With the radio preamp on, I had good signals across
the band.  I put the loop out in the back yard away from the tower and other
metal objects.  I haven't made a mount yet, so I just jammed it into a bush
to keep it from falling over.  It is roughly broadside to Boston.  Setup is:
Loop-Ferrite Transformer-RG-8 Coax to radio.  Dead simple.

What I found was some significant nulling.  WEEI-850 Boston was reduced to
background interference to WREF and oldies.  Stayed very consistent.  I was
able to hear WSBS-860 in Great Barrington, MA with Mohegan Sun ads, and a
good ID right before sunset.  WSBS is a *very* tough station to hear despite
it's close distance.  Just doesn't get out well in this direction.

I tried moving it to null NYC, and found country music way over an nearly
non-existent WINS-1010.  No ID, but likely NH.  Noise under WCBS-880.  All
NYC stations reduced a noticeable amount.

Also tried down into longwave, and got a number of beacons.  Shortwave in
the 75m ham band, and 41m SWBC band was also good.

So, next thing is to build a real rotatable mount for it, and do a much more
scientific test to see just how well it nulls.  I am quite pleased so far.
This has the potential for being mounted on a rotor in the clear somewhere.

As I mentioned earlier, I may build two smaller ones and fix-mount them at
right angles to each other and use the MFJ-1026 to see how that nulls.
Later..

Craig Healy
Providence, RI