[IRCA] Verifications

Bert,

I think the FCC should require all licensed radio stations to keep QSL cards on hand to handle the high number of reception reports, no matter how few are received. QSL cards can be printed up for as little as $10 per 1,000. When I got my ham radio license back in 1992, I spent $20 to get 1,000 QSL cards printed up; some of them have been used by stations as verifications (most notably WFWL 1220 Camden, TN and WCGO 1600 Chicago Heights, IL). That would save the copywriter a lot of headaches; all the engineer, program director or general manager has to do is fill in the blanks.

When I was at WFTD 1080 Marietta, GA, I typed up a verification letter for my boss at the time, Rocky Payne. In fact, Rocky was my verie signer when I heard WFTD back in 1993. WGNU 920 either has a secretary sign the verification letters (I would prefer sending the report to PD/GM Charles Geer); WSIE 88.7, the station I work at now, gets some E-mail reports either via GM Frank Akers or afternoon drive DJ Ross Gentile. I'm going to have to get a form letter together for WSIE; it's fairly common on E-skip openings. When I had KCFV 89.5 verified in 1985, my boss at the time, Ted Faas, signed the verification. The only boss I worked with who had an indifferent view on DXers and DXing was Reed Hale at WFUN-FM 95.5 Bethalto, IL. Radio One now owns the station; they may have a different view on DXers and DXing than the local owners who ran it from its inception in 1991 (as WXJO) until 1999.

73, Eric (N0UIH)