Re: [IRCA] DRM in Germany

Chris, I just happen to be thinking about you & the DRM issue. The reception of DRM is not really all that hard, even with your current rig and some free software to load on a lap top. Check out Mark Fine's web page, or go to the web site of some of the SWL Clubs. They have software info there.
I test new equipment for manufactures like Ten Tec (it was my idea to outfit the RX 320 with DRM capability as it already had the proper last IF). I also test for AOR and a few others but the receiver market has all but dried up. The real reason for the lack of new SWL receivers is that all of the manufactures see the oncoming of digital modes and they see the end of SW. I hate to be a pessimist but technology does move on.
Check  out the Ten Tec web site as they also have some DRM info. About a year ago I was given a Beta Sangean receiver that was set up for DRM. In fact, all it was a Sangean 818 modified. All it received was analog SW and DRM. Here in Ohio I could easily receive the DRM Transmissions from Canada, and a lot of foreign Broadcasters rent time on R. Canada's transmitters for Broadcasts to N. America. I was only using the built in whip at first, then I went to a 66' Rf Systems MK-ll. It sounded like BCB FM!
Look around, you'll find a way to receive DRM with your own rig on the regular HF Bands. It is really the use of the computers power to run the special codec that translates the digital DRM to an analog signal.

73 John Wagner, Ohio, PS Whatever happened to the Sangean idea for use of the modified ATS 818 I can't tell you(?) It worked well enough that I would have purchased the beat up rig they loaned me.