[IRCA] IBOC? on 840 Khz at night

Chris, I have heard the same thing here in Maryland. It was pegging
the s meter at s9+30 and was not fading.  I thought it might be a
local transmitter running IBOC. Last night (20 Sept), they were on
from 2100-to past 2300.  I also heard them the night before.
Remember that Ibiquity HQ is just a few miles from my residence.

The following is a screen capture showing the spectrum of the signal
from 838 to 842 KHz. You can see a good size carrier in the middle
with an 80 Hz dip on each side of the carrier. The white noise seems
to be coming from the signal beyond 80 hz of the carrier.
http://philcobill.com/DXclips/capt0509202115_840_white_noise.jpg

To you signal experts out there, does mask this fit into any type of
a modulation that you are aware of?

The following is an audio clip of the signal:
http://philcobill.com/DXclips/00840-20050920-2155-white_noise.mp3

Bill Harms
Elkridge, Maryland
R8B