Re: [IRCA] Antenna experiment

>Do you have any idea what the difference might be if you had run wire
>through PVC pipe arranged like your copper pipe, making the same
>connections?  If the electrical performance were similar it might be an
>alternative for the plumbing skills challenged amongst us, read that me.

My guess is that it wouldn't be as good.  You need the surface area of the
copper pipe for very low resistance.  That single turn has a very low
voltage to current ratio.  The wire, even a #10, wouldn't come close.  RF on
a conductor tends to travel right on the surface due to what is called skin
effect.  The copper pipe has just about the same resistance as would a piece
of solid (and heavy!) copper of the same diameter.  Coax for broadcast
transmission lines is always tubular rather than solid, once you get above
an inch in size.

The copper isn't hard to solder.  I can write up a "how-to" that should get
you through it.  The skill involved in using Genova cement to put plastic
together isn't really any less, just different.  If there's interest, let me
know and I'll write up an article once I get a better handle on the
performance of this antenna, and a number of side paths I want to travel.

>Are you aware of the Shortwave-SWL-Antenna forum on Yahoo?  They also talk
>MW and might be very interested in your experiment:

I'll poke my nose in that door.  Thanks!

>A very interesting discussion, thanks.

My pleasure!

Craig Healy
Providence, RI