Re: [IRCA] E-Mail Lists & The Future of the Hobby

Re: [IRCA] E-Mail Lists & The Future of the Hobby

.  I am
> currently in Jacksonville Florida.  Jacksonville is located in the far
North
> East corner of Florida.

If you are ever there in the wintertime you'll be surprised
at how cold it can get in Jacksonville. They get ice on the
roads in Georgia when the winter cold fronts blow down from the
midwest. In Tampa where I am we are on the edge of
the nighttime freeze zone, when the fronts come in. About twice a
year we get a freeze in Tampa, for a day or two, then back to
the 40's-50's for lows.

>  All of my work on the cell sites has to be done between
> 2300 and 0500 as I have to shut parts of it down, or "Wilt" as it is
known in
> the industry.  In between sites I turn on the truck radio and tune
around.  I
> knew about the Cuban time ticks but was very surprised at how many
there were.
> I mean, it is a little country.  How many do they need?  It seems like
one would
> do, unless they have some other purpose.

Cuba is thin, but it is quite long, from east to west. You'll hear
stations from
Havana, Matanzas, Santa Clara, Holguin, Guantanamo etc, sort of like
one might hear many different stations if s/he drove from NYC to Ohio.
So
they need a lot of them for daytime coverage of each region.

In Tampa we hear Havana during the day, and points west, being an all-
water path, but nothing east, due to the land path blockage from
Sarasota.

In Key West there are 2 locals, and good day signals from most all of
the stations
in southern Fla, as far out as WFLF 540, and a couple from Cancun, all
on a
small handheld set. And of course, a lot of Cuban signals. I think 740
and 1050
were the Cancun's, 1050 was pretty good. Pay a visit to Sloppy Joes or
Hogs Breath
and get a few pints of "tuning oil" and the Cubans will appear louder
than ever,
and the QRM will fade away.

Ever since the hurricane the Cuban stations have been erratic, and some
of them
come and go and change affiliations at times.

- Bob, Tampa  k2euh

> Steve
> --
> 73 49 111 01001001