[IRCA] WLAC

Here's an article some of you might be interested in. It was printed in the Flagpole, a weekly music and entertainment paper in Athens, GA.

John R.
Had The Magic Touch

DeeJay's Voice
Brought Music Through The Night

Last column, I left y'all at the beach in South Carolina, listening to an off-in-the-distance jukebox thump away. By now your conetopped can of Atlantic Ale has gotten just as warm as our story line has grown cold. Let me refresh you.

I was writing about the legendary John R. of Radio Station WLAC in Nashville, TN. Although he was not the first deejay to popularize rhythm and blues music on a 50,000-watt station, John R. became one of the most famous. His career spanned nearly 30 years. He received 250,000 pieces of mail a year, which clearly shows his popularity.

By the early 1950s, John Richbourg had earned himself a comfortable niche. Promoters often dropped dubs of new records by the station so that he could be the first to play them - before they were released. He was thus the first deejay to air B. B. King's 1952 debut hit "Three O'Clock Blues" and uncountable other discs that went on to become smash hits. He had to believe in a record for it to gain continued airplay on his show, which was sponsored by Ernie's Record Mart in Nashville.

One night in 1955 (or was it 1956?), John found a pile of new releases on hand. Before his show, he auditioned several, looking for suitable material. One absolutely blew him away. He had met the artist once before; the man had released a gospel record which went nowhere. This one, John thought, was a real winner.

That night, on the air it went. "PLEEEEEASE, PLEEEASE, PLEEASE, baby, please don't go," the singer fairly screamed. The phone lines lit up. Nobody had ever heard such a sound before. At the end of the record, the totally knocked-out John R. announced, "From down Augusta, Georgia way - that's James Brown And His Famous Flames doing Â?Please, Please, Please.' Somebody have mercy!"

Syd Nathan, the owner of Federal Records (Brown's label), didn't like the 45 and almost refused to release it. Imagine his surprise when orders for 250,000 copies of the record quickly rolled in. John R. may not have been the first person to play the disc, but he was the one who "kept on it," to use the radio parlance of the day.

Brown is said to have remarked that John R. was responsible for starting his career because the deejay stayed on "Please, Please, Please" until he made it a hit. He was to pay John R. back, bigtime.

Brown wasn't the only performer who felt that way. Joe Simon was signed to Vee-Jay Records and was barely denting the charts with titles like "My Adorable One" when John suggested that he go with Monument Records' Sound Stage 7 R&B subsidiary when Vee-Jay went belly-up in 1965. "I'll produce you," John offered. The deal was sealed with a handshake. Hit after hit resulted; Joe Simon was a hot property for many years. He continued this success later on Spring Records. "John R. was the first man I met who could swing that much weight, yet be that nice," Simon asserted.

Rev. Jackey Beavers, now Georgia State Chaplain, was a pop recording artist in those days. "John R. was too good a man for the record industry," Rev. Beavers revealed. "He was one of the most kind-hearted fellas you ever met. He loved black music even more than I did."

John's influence went beyond this level. He started a radio school in Nashville, The Tennessee School Of Broadcasting. A large number of students benefited from his hands-on teaching.

Visitors to the station often popped in from the very periphery of the 30-state directional night coverage pattern. A young fellow named Bob Smith journeyed down to Nashville from Brooklyn just to shake John R.'s hand. "I listen to you in the basement. We rigged up a hundred-foot wire antenna to bring you in," Smith said. WLAC's night coverage was directionalized to protect co-channel stations in Spokane, Washington and Boston, Massachusetts, so this fluke of reception was a minor miracle. Bob Smith ventured into radio afterward; some years later, he created the persona of Wolfman Jack, howling from a Mexican station. He freely credited John R. as his major influence.

The station's longtime owners Life & Casualty Insurance Co. (hence the call sign WLAC) sold the station in 1973. The format was to change to top 40. John R. could have stayed on, but he refused to be dictated to. He chose to retire on August 1, 1973 at age 62.

I listened to that last show on the first little piece of what is now GA 316 while en route to Atlanta. "You don't know what these years on the air have meant to me," John R. humbly stated. "It's time for me to go on to something else. Your letters have meant so much to me over the years; I'll try to answer every one of them in due time. Goodbye and God bless you all." And like that, he was done with his career. He still continued to receive mail at the station a decade after his departure.

He continued to record artists and manage performers. When Sound Stage 7 Records folded up, John started his own label, Seventy Seven. He continued to produce decent records under his JR Enterprises banner, but without the airplay outlet of WLAC, sales lagged. It turned out to be more a labor of love than a profitable venture. Quite a few of these later records command considerable prices now, especially in Europe.

In the mid-1980s, John's health began to fail. He suffered from lung cancer; his booming voice was reduced to a whisper. Bills were mounting up, and his savings were rapidly becoming depleted.

The people whom he had helped so selflessly did not forget him. On March 26, 1985, a benefit concert entitled The Roots Of Rhythm & Rock: A Tribute To The Legendary John R. was held at Grand Ole Opry Hall. On hand were James Brown, B. B. King, Rufus Thomas, Charlie Daniels, Joe Simon, Ella Washington, Jackey Beavers, and dozens more who had benefited from John R.'s assistance. At the finale, he was rolled out onto the stage in a wheelchair to deliver an emotional, whispered thanks to these people. Later John tearfully told his wife Margaret that he had never thought that he meant anything at all to them as a person. He was wrong this time, something he never had been about a record.

John Richbourg died of cancer on February 15, 1986 at the age of 75. Ella Washington, whose career he had helped manage in her years with Sound Stage 7 Records, sang "Amazing Grace" and "Because He Lives" at the funeral. Rev. Jackey Beavers performed "His Eye Is On The Sparrow," just as John had requested. He also delivered the eulogy.

John R.'s influence persists to this day. American rhythm and blues records are quite the rage in Europe, and Ace Records in England has released a CD of titles that were made hits by continued airplay on WLAC.

This central control panel for a 1940s Continental Electronics 500KW transmitter is similar to the one beloved by John R.
image credit: James P. Hawkins

Imagine my glee when I was able to help "read" the WLAC directional when I lived in Nashville in 1986. Chief Engineer William Berry even showed me around the transmitter building on Dickerson Pike, next to the three towers that bring WLAC's night signal to 30 states. I paused in front of the backup transmitter, an obviously ancient unit. "That's our original 1942 Continental," Berry told me. "When we bought this," he pointed to a newer, mid-'60s Continental, "John R. hated it. Said it didn't sound true; it didn't reproduce bass. So when we ran rhythm and blues at night, we fired up the old unit at his insistence. It still works perfectly."

My mind traveled back in time, back to days of baby chick commercials, ads for Royal Crown Hair Dressing ("with Simethicone"), Hoyt Sullivan products, White Rose Petroleum Jelly, Randy's Record Shop, Ernie's Record Mart; to on-air names like Herman Grizzard, William "Hoss Man" Allen, Hugh "Big Hugh Baby" Jarrett, Gene Nobles, the latter-day ubiquitous newsman, Don Whitehead, and, of course, John "R." Richbourg.

"You really made some history here," I mused. I gently patted the old Continental transmitter in homage.

"If that old Continental could talk, it could really tell some tales," Berry admitted.

"It already has," I answered.

William Orten Carlton

William Orten Carlton = ORT, Special Correspondent For Flagpole.

And here's the link...

http://www.flagpole.com/articles.php?fp=5495

Enjoy!

Bert New