Re: [IRCA] WTOP interference

Bill:

Good for you.

I have corresponded with WBJC/91.5 in Baltimore, alerting them to what
may happen when WETA/90.9 cranks up IBOC.

And here's another thing: interference with low-powered TIS-style public
emergency information stations, which are looming on the horizon .

As ARES EC here in Arlington, I kicked up that idea with my Citiizens
Corps Committee.  They bit and we got a Special Temporary Authorization
for one at 1700 AM.  Coverage checks disclosed that even five 10 watt
sites would not adequately cover the county, so we applied for a
single-station version and a power waiver to go to 100 watts, which will
most likely be granted.  Fortunately, there are no stations here on
1680-90 which might go IBOCking.  Again, Arlington is a very small
county, 26 sq. miles, so we should have no problems.

The other interesting thing at the low power level is that even distant
commercial stations can clobber a TIS at night.

AlanB