[IRCA] Final morning on the Queen Charlottes 24Jul05

[IRCA] Final morning on the Queen Charlottes 24Jul05

Well, this morning was slightly abbreviated as my Father-in-law picked me
up at 06:45 local, and I had to be totally packed by then.  Again, Japan
practically had the entire MW band to themselves yet again.  I will be very
interested in ascertaining whether this is a local phenomenon
characteristic for the Charlottes, or more an issue of propagation
conditions in general.  I did have some fun hearing many more aeronautical
voice LW beacons.  I do need a better database, though.  Today's beacon
logs will have to be identified later as I left my list in my luggage (I'm
typing this sitting in YVR, Vancouver airport waiting for my connecting
flight to Victoria).  Again I was pleased with my short random wire running
close to due E/W (120' or so).  If this antenna continues to perform in
it's very quiet manner, basically nulling many of the lower 48 stations
that spoil much of the Beverage antenna characteristics here, then I'll
very likely erect one across my property near the sand dunes, and run it
across the property to my east to achieve a "mini-Beverage"
length.  Assuming this property remains undeveloped (I hope so!), it will
be an ideal site to conceal the bulk of my antennae without the problems of
having to cross the road to reach the large land parcel to my south which
had been my original plan.  I have to admit a bit of disappointment in
primarily hearing mostly Japanese stations.  Not knowing the language, and
finding the programming rather dull didn't really thrill me.  I do hope
that other more exotic dx will be in the cards in the future.  Here are my
loggings, including a single interesting Time signal logging from last night.

RUSSIA 9996, 04:17-, RWM Jul 24 Another offshoot to regular SW
dxing.  Noted an unmodulated signal on 9996 so I offset to 9996.2 to hear
in LSB (or use CW).  Double pips from the 9th to the 14th second.  Data
transfer started at 04:20 until 04:24:55, and then again from 04:25:00 to
04:29:55.  A steady carrier tone from 04:30 until 04:37:55, and then RWM
repeated over and over again in Morse from 04:38 until 04:40,  and then
back into regular unmodulated time pips.  CW mode works well to listen to
them.  Excellent level.  Transmitter, I think is in Moscow.  I wonder how
to demodulate the data stream.  Didn't sound like any mode I've heard
before.  Any ideas?. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

ALASKA 920, 10:59-, KSRM, Soldotna Jul 24 Another new Alaskan for me, with
ID as, 'KSRM, now in our 38th year'.  Fair to good with a few weak
cochannels. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

RUSSIA 180, 11:13-, Golos Rossii Jul 24 Probably the best I've heard them
these past 4 mornings, with Russian religious talk.  Not quite armchair,
but a very decent signal. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

ALASKA 245 etc, 11:15-, Aerobeacons Jul 24 I don't have my database with me
for LW aerobeacons, but I heard quite a few more voice Aerobeacons.  Here's
the list: 245:  'Transcribed aviation weather broadcast is
suspended'.  Fair. 251:  Aviation weather for Bethel, Kodiak,
etc.   338:  Aviation weather for Valdez Harbor field, Valdez city
(missing), Cordova, etc. 371:  Aviation weather, and synopsis for the
Western Aleutians, Central Gulf coast, Kodiac Is, Bristol Bay, etc.  poor.
379:  Area forecast for Kodiak Is.  Good.    With 6 yesterday, and 5 today
that's 11 total.  I've only heard 2 or 3 of these services in the
past.  I'm not 100% sure that they're all in Alaska but I suspect so.
(Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

NEW ZEALAND 1053, 11:34-, 2YP, New Plymouth Jul 24 Weak audio in English,
with 'You're looking for...'.  I'm presuming NZ. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen
Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 828, 11:41-, JOBB, Osaka Jul 24 Good reception with talk in Japanese
by YL.  Parallel to JOIB, Sapporo and 774 JOUB, Akita at poor to fair
level.  I rechecked 774 at 12:09.  At that time it was very strong.
(Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1053, 11:48-, JOAR, Nagoya Jul 24 Japanese sports play by play, I
think.  Fair to good, at 50 kw listed.   I rechecked at 12:11 at which time
reception was fair to good. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1134, 11:50-, JOQR, Tokyo Jul 24 I believe this is Tokyo with
Japanese talk at fair to good levels.  I could not totally discount the
possibility of the Korean, KBS Liberty 1, however.  I rechecked at
12:12.  Good level then. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1152, 11:53-, JOPC, Kushiro Jul 24 Probably Kushiro, Hokkaido with
Japanese talk by YL.  Fair level. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1179, 11:55-, JOOR, Osaka Jul 24 Strongest Japanese up to that
point.  Good level with Japanese talk by OM, with many 'Hai's' heard.  50
kw listed power. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1188, 11:56-, JOKP, Kitami Jul 24 This 10 kw Hokkaido station is the
likely one heard at fair level, with a male and female dj chatting.
(Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1197, 11:57-, unid. Jul 24 Impossible to figure this frequency out as
it's a Japanese graveyard channel.  Poor to fair level with music, then
Japanese talk. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1242, 11:59-, JOLF, Tokyo Jul 24 Japanese talk at fair level, and
into an ad.  100 kw listed power. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1278, 11:59-, JOFR, Fukuoka Jul 24 Fair level with Japanese talk by
YL.  50 kw listed. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1287, 12:00-, JOHR, Sapporo Jul 24 Consistently one of the strongest
Japanese stations heard on the Charlottes.  Strong signal with Japanese
OM.  Ad noted at 12:14 recheck.  50 kw listed. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen
Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1332, 12:00-, JOSF, Nagoya Jul 24 Fair to good reception of this 50
kw station.  Japanese talk by OM. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1386, 12:00-, NHK2 Jul 24 Take your pick of 4 NHK2 stations on this
frequency, all at 10 kw.  Fanfare, 3 + 1 time pips.  Fair strength.
(Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1413, 12:01-, JOIF, Fukuoka Jul 24 Good reception with Japanese talk
by YL.  50 kw listed. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1503, 12:02-, JOUK, Akita Jul 24 A low powered NHK1 transmitter.  My
guess is Akita with 10 kw. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1593, 12:04-, JOTB, Matsue or JOQB, Nigata Jul 24 Not sure which, as
both are NHK2 transmitters at 10 kw.  Good levels but suffering from
splatter. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 1737, 12:08-, KUT Jul 24 Beacon station heard only weakly
today. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1314, 12:15-, JOUF, Osaka Jul 24 Weak,though in the clear.  50 kw
listed strength.  Usual Japanese talk.  Why do Japanese stations play very
little music, at least in the mornings.  All I kept hearing was talk!  A
bit on the boring side, especially if my Japanese is not that great.
(Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1404, 12:18-, JOQL, Kushiro Jul 24 Fair reception with female
vocal.  I'm thinking this Hokkaido station is the most likely. (Salmaniw,
Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1422, 12:19-, JORF, Yokohama Jul 24 Good reception with Japanese talk
by OM.  50 kw listed.  Nice signal!. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte
Is, BC)

JAPAN 1440, 12:21-, JOWF, Sapporo Jul 24 Reminds me that it's worthwhile to
check the 10 kHz channels.  This 50 kw Hokkaido station was well over any
North American cochannels. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

JAPAN 1449, 12:21-, JOQM, Abashiri Jul 24 5 kw listed for another Hokkaido
station.  Weak Japanese talk. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

UNKNOWN 1575, 12:46-, unid Jul 24 I'm puzzled by this frequency.  There was
a weakly heard station on this frequency.  Never strong enough to
positively ID.  I'm sure it's not the VOA.  I've heard them from home
frequently, and this doesn't sound that official.  If I stayed on the
Charlottes, I'd make it a point to monitor it every morning.  Recall I
heard some unusual English here the other morning. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill,
Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

HAWAII 830, 12:59-, KHBH, Honolulu Jul 24 ID for 'Newsradio KHBH 830,
Honolulu'.  Good reception.  I was trying for the Alaskan KSDP,
Sandpoint.  I did hear NPR programming earlier in the hour, so I'm thinking
it was them.  No sign of them now. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)