Re: [IRCA] 1590 KRSX Victorville CA logging

Re: [IRCA] 1590 KRSX Victorville CA logging

This thread has really caught on. Last year I was fortunate enough to entice
Scott Fybush to drive all the way to the Central California Coast after NAB
in Las Vegas. Most of you probably know at least something about him. He's a
gifted radio historian, he runs the popular 100000watts.com web site, he has
his own web site about broadcast happenings in New England (fybush.com; he
lives in Rochester, NY but grew up in the Boston area) and is a freelance
journalist specializing in broadcasting. I don't know how he does it all.
We'd e-mailed for over a year but never met. His drive over here from Las
Vegas took him through Victorville, and one of our many topics of discussion
at dinner that evening was the 660 pirate. After seeing this thread take off
I forwarded him everything that appears below. Scott's a busy guy to say the
least and not an IRCA member, so I forward him IRCA postings that I think
might interest him. He replied this morning and says there's some confusion
here, and went on to explain. I have a policy of not forwarding private
e-mails to mailing lists without the author's permission. Scott says that's
no problem, so here's what he has to say about the Victorville situation:

"Just to clear up some confusion here -

1590 KRSX Victorville is a licensed station, 500 watts day and 131 watts
night, ex-KCIN, KROY and KATJ (AM) - it's the very short tower right on the
west side of 15 just north of the exit for downtown Victorville. It was
easier to see before they built a sound barrier wall along that part of 15 a
couple of years ago.

Clear Channel put the KRSX calls on 1590 a couple of years ago, in part - I
think - to put pressure on the unlicensed "KRSX" to get off the air and stop
stealing ad revenue from them! CC sold the station to its current owners not
long afterward. But the 1590 has nothing at all to do with the old 660
unlicensed operation..."

If you want to see what the results of my enticing him to drive over here
were, have a look at these:
http://www.fybush.com/sites/2004/site-041112.html and
http://www.fybush.com/sites/2004/site-041119.html. We had a blast.

The convention is approaching, and I'm stoked. The only one I've attended
was way back in 1997. I hope to meet lots of you there.