Re: [IRCA] Radio DXing Hobby Threatened With Extinction

Re: [IRCA] Radio DXing Hobby Threatened With Extinction

Thomas,

International SW is also changing with stations leaving for other
methods of transmission. If you look at the number of Tropical band
stations there were on 120,90,60 meters 30 years ago to today, it is
shocking. Africans were all over. Now there are only a few. The same is
true for Indonesians. Maybe the cold war enhanced the need for some
broadcasters too. The cost involved is a lot less streaming on the
internet or operting lower power on FM.  No big towers or transmitters
to worry about. No big power bills. Costs have gone out of sight.
Transmitter sites are going away too, as the property is worth more for
shopping centers and condos. We are entering into a new era. I think we
will always have radio stations, but not the numbers we have today. I
have always wondered how in the World can listeners in the US support
12,000 radio stations? They can't. I think as costs go up, we will go
back to a lot less radio.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin