Re: [IRCA] WPEN Testing

Rest up Rene - I've got lotsa questions for you. Don't feel obligated to
answer them all at once. A little at a time would be great.

I read up on the WPEN move. WWDB is a daytimer, and one of the engineering
studies said the two stations would never be on the same towers at the same
time. WPEN must be going to use a different day site. I've been reading lots
of the engineering studies (not just WPEN's) and they sure can get
complicated. In a situation like this how does testing work? How can they
test their night pattern during the day with WWDB on? That must effect
WWDB's pattern. We have so few daytimers out here in California that I tend
to forget they are still somewhat common in other parts of the country.

It's taken me quite awhile but I think I understand the basics of
directional arrays. Diplexing is something I'd very much like to learn more
about. Can you recommend any sources that I can look at that would cover the
basics? About a mile from here I have one graveyarder (KIST-1340) operating
on another one's tower (KBKO-1490; formerly KDB), and a third station
(KZSB-1290; 500 watts days; 122 watts nights) moved in later on. They're all
ND so I'm sure that simplifies things somewhat. 1490's CE is an acquaintance
and he gave me the nickel tour about 15 years ago, not long after 1340 moved
in back in the early 1990's. 1290 wasn't there yet. For awhile both 1340 and
1490 were in stereo; I know that diplexing effects bandwidth and neither of
them ever sounded decent in stereo. Both are now owned by Clear Channel so
that took care of that.

DX wise both KIST and KDB were commonly logged in California until they
moved in together. KIST had a tower on top of a seven story office building
with relatively few ground straps connecting to railing; the transmitter was
on the top floor so it was off limits to the public. Despite that they got
out quite well. They had to move when the bank on the bottom floor starting
using computers extensively and the RF problems couldn't be solved. That was
about when RF exposure became a hot topic. Now both are rarely logged
anymore even though the local/regional coverage (24/7) is about the same.

When KIST moved in with KDB they had to drop to 650 watts fulltime. I've
often seen graveyarders moving in with someone else having to drop power.
Why? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to learn about diplexing
(triplexing here); with the dollar value of many tower sites on the rise and
the NIMBY factor it's becoming so much more common.