Re: [IRCA] KFYI-550 Phoenix IBOC

Paul,

If IBOC gets widespread and goes 24/7, then DX as we know it will be out
the window. No doubts there. KEX alone is enough to prove that here at
75 air miles away. They do a real number on KLAY 1180 Tacoma days here.
True, some of the signals will be strong enough at night to overpower
the IBOC hash, but it still will be there enough to ruin the hobby. I
have tried to phase the noise. I have the MFJ 1026 and several different
antennas. I can phase about anything. Yes, I can phase it, but I have to
phase the S9+ hash down below S5 to get rid of the hash completely and
when I do that, the signal from KLAY is really knocked down too. On skip
at LSS when KEX is still running IBOC, trying to phase a signal with gw
and skywave is almost impossible to do, so the IBOC has stays strong
enough, but near LSS KLAY/KOFI does come up in still enough to cover up
most of the hash.
   Yes the 50 KW from Orange 830 really wipes out Mexicali 820. You can
hear it on the car radio, but you would not want to listen to it. Once
you get South and East of Indio, you can then pick 820 up well enough. I
listened to XEYF 850 driving across to AZ along the 10. 820 is rock now
and I liked their Romantica music when Bob and I were down there in 2000
and 2001.

73s,

Patrick

Patrick Martin