Re: [IRCA] digital recorder

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Hall-Patch" <nhp@xxxxxxxx>
<irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 01:23
Subject: Re: [IRCA] digital recorder

> I wonder if I could use your report on this recorder in the IRCA
Technical
> Column, Bob?

Of course you may. I might have some material to add to it by then, as
well.

> I have a backlog at the moment for the column, but would likely submit
this
> in late June.  I would send you a copy of what I would submit for your
> final approval and further comments.
>
> For now...
>
> >the audio shows a slight
> >"flanging" effect in some cases.
>
> I don't recognize the term "flanging"...please enlighten!

A phase cancellation effect, similar to multipath/selective
fading where there are two signals partially out of phase,
and the frequency response is altered. If you can find a
copy of The Big Hurt by Toni Fischer, you'll hear it.

I could recreate it in a studio by recording the same
audio on two Ampex 350's, mixing the outputs
together, and then hand-dragging the feed reel on one
of the machines while listening to the mixed output.

This is a similar sounding effect, though the cause is
_not_  the same, and it is much more subtle. Mainly
it makes steady background noise sound sort of
tinny, and voices may sound slightly "metallic"

Don'cha love those high tech words?.

The consensus is that the LF response is poor on these devices,
as a class, and that is probably true here also.

> >  However I
> >can get clean recordings from the receiver
> >headphone line jack as a level giving good
> >headphone volume.
>
> is "as a level" above supposed to be "at a level"?  I presume with the
> Y-cable from the receiver, you set the headphone volume to be
comfortable,
> and that gives you an input that doesn't overload the recorder?

Looks like a typo I made. I didn't catch that one. I believe
I meant to say "at"

> >There is no recording level indication, so
> >recording from a receiver line jack has to be
> >set by trial-and-error. Volume up and down
> >is set in small steps by button, there are no
> >rotary controls.
>
> Presumably, these volume up and down controls have an effect only on
> playback?   Recording level is set by controlling the level of the
incoming
> signal?  I have downloaded the user's manual and specifications, but
> they're not 100% clear on this to me.

As far as I have been able to tell, this is correct.
Typical "user level" doc's. Fortunately the volume steps
are pretty granular.

> Thanks for your help.
>

> best wishes,
>
> Nick