[IRCA] IBOC Approved by NRSC

From today’s Radio Ink Newsletter.  And now for the bad news………

NRSC Votes To Implement Technical Standard For US Digital AM & FM Based On iBiquity HD Radio System

iBiquity Digital Corporation, developers of the HD Radio In-Band On-Channel (IBOC) system, has congratulated the National Radio Systems Committee (NRSC) for unanimously voting to implement the technical standard for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the US based on the HD Radio system.

The IBOC system was previously recommended by the International Telecommunication Union for digital broadcasting systems in the AM and FM bands.

"We applaud the NRSC’s decision to adopt an IBOC standard based on iBiquity’s HD Radio system," said Robert Struble, president and CEO, iBiquity Digital Corporation. "We also commend them for the years of diligent analysis and research they’ve undertaken in reaching this decision. Their endorsement is a key milestone in the establishment of HD Radio as the digital radio solution in the US and, ultimately, other countries."

HD Radio technology transmits digital audio and data alongside existing AM and FM analog signals, allowing listeners with HD Radio receivers to experience CD-quality sound.

My comments…..

You’ll notice the keywords for our purposes are “along side existing AM and FM analog signals.”  Take that however you will, but it means that forget listening to anything on adjacent channels to an IBOC’ed station.  We, of course, know this already.  This announcement simply means we’ve moved one step closer to one heck of a mess on the AM standard broadcast band.

You will notice, however, that there is still no mention of nighttime operation.  That’s still a bone of contention for many, and apparently their “years of diligent analysis and research” have yet to overcome the havoc and loss of coverage for many stations that will existent on the AM band at night should nighttime IBOC (I refuse to call it “High Definition Radio”) ever be approved by the commission.

I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it.  There are better ways.  For instance, create a new broadcast band using Eureka Digital as has Canada and the UK and give AMs (expecially daytimers) top priority to migrate there.  Give them a five year overlap between AM and the new band (as has been done with the extended band).  This would not only cut down on the nighttime crud on the AM band, but would give marginal stations a chance to become viable entities.

(Oh yeah --- I should mention that my comments are my own and don’t reflect those of my employer.)

Rene' F. Tetro,

Chief Engineer

WNTP-WFIL

Salem Communications