Re: [IRCA] KEX is using IBOC

IBOC is a major problem in St. Louis as well, although only one station (KFUO 850) uses it, along with three of Clear Channel's FMs (KSD 93.7, KATZ-FM 100.3 and KMJM 104.9). Clear Channel is trying to get this wasteful, unproven technology on 1,000 of their AM and FM stations.

As a result of the three CC stations going IBOC on FM, I've lost four good FM DX channels (93.5, 93.9, 100.1 and 100.5); one semi-local is also blocked out (KDJR 100.1 De Soto, MO). Three others (104.5, 104.7 and 105.1) suffers from interference from IBOC sidebands. I read in one of the trade publications that one engineer is favoring DRM for AM digital...that also wastes spectrum space (for an example, check several frequencies on shortwave). Analog is spectrally efficient, and with Motorola coming out with their Symphony receiving chipset, which converts analog signals to digital, there may be no need for IBOC or DRM.

73, Eric (N0UIH)