Re: [IRCA] Computers and displays + Wobblers. Ron Schatz, we need you!

WWWR wrote:

>I notice some list members apparently use computers in fairly close
>proximity to their receivers.  I have been wondering if LCD/flat-panel
>displays are less noisy than CRT display.  Also, if laptops tend to be more
>or less noisy than desktop computers.

Curt,

 From the very git-go, flat-panels have to be a step improvement. They
don't have the HV associated
with CRT displays. CRT displays have a lot of wire point-to-point
conductors, noisier than circuit cards.

Laptops would have to be quieter, too. Smaller-area circuit cards with
intermediate power levels. And a laptop can be moved about on a desk
easily to get more distance between the CPU and the radio & loop.

>I'm beginning to think timed recording ability, real-time signal processing
>capabilities, and on-line access are worth considering the addition of a
>computer to my radio paraphernalia.  That raises the question of advantages
>between the mentioned alternatives.

Wish't your thoughts had gone through my mind when I got
(12/26/2004...look at what Santa Claus came through with) a Compaq from
Sam's Club. A laptop would almost certainly been a better choice.

Dern, Santa Claus did it again! Blame it on him!

>Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Have done a fresh round of thinking about the Wobbler. This is still
bizarre.

OH MY, a story is coming on. Some one please tie me down!

This would have been like rats to Ronald F Schatz. He would somehow come
up with some data.

I wonder how many amongst us know of Ron actually going to Cuba, getting
taken into detention by Ministry of ??? personnel, and managing to get
out of that one?

73 de Charlie

          ------
Charles A & Leonor L Taylor