Re: [IRCA] TIS question:Is this really a Tizzy?

Patrick Martin wrote:

>Cerritos College 1700 used to make it up here before the X Band filled
>up. I have a nice QSL letter from them too. The calls given in the QSL
>letter from 1999 were WPMD-956 and they said 10 watts.
>
>73s,
>
>Patrick

Patrick,

The Magic Duck flies down to you! You get the prize. The prize committee
[if we form one] will meet to decide what your award will be. In the
meantime, I would suggest you vacate your premises temporarily in case
the prize committee does meet and award your prize! Likely a cow-pie.

You quote WPMD956 (and I studious avoid the "errant" hyphen between "D"
and "9" as spurious), and that's what I was looking for. Now the
original question ought to have been, UPON WHAT IS THAT CALLSIGN BASED?

Is it based on a FCC license or on something someone contrived?

My Daddy was stationed at the old Long Beach Naval Station. He was a
Pharmacist Mate*. So I was born in Wilshire Hospital rather than in a
normal place like s.w. Indiana. Born a Californian rather than a Hoosier
or a Kentuckian!

*Pharmacist Mate has long since been incorporated in the Hospital
Corpsman enlisted specialization, although I believe it still exists in
the US Coast Guard.

Cholly