  • Subject: [IRCA] Meeting with SBE Chapter
  • From: "Les Rayburn" <les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:24:44 -0600
We had an opportunity to speak with approximately twenty members of the local
SBE (Society of Broadcast Engineers) chapter yesterday. The program consisted
of a brief discussion about DXing, some sound clips of distant receptions, and
more clips of DX tests.

We then progressed to discuss DX tests, QSLing, etc. Questions were taken,
and I stuck around for at least an hour after the meeting answering questions. As
part of my "sales pitch" I had already made up CD's with test material and
:60 "Inventory Inserts" as Fred V. has suggested. These were presented to
the engineers of the stations of interest.

We also handed out copies of both IRCA and NRC bulletins. Since some
of the engineers were TV station types, I touched briefly on TV DXing.

The really good news is that Frank Giradina, CPBE and Director
of Engineering for Citadel Broadcasting has already agreed to run tests
on both WAPI 1070 and WJOX 690 in Birmingham. We're working together now
to set up dates.

Some observations:

1. Most engineers said their relationships with DX'ers were very
cordial. The only real complaint was reception reports lacking
in enough detail to verify reception from station logs.

Most said that they were very interested in getting recordings
of their stations, and e-mail was cited as the best way to send
in reception reports by most. All of them stressed that they
had limited time, so e-mail might be the "QSL route" of choice.

2. There was a lot of interest in hearing about how DXing had
changed. Lots of questions about the use of unattended recording
via computers, and phasing antennas. In hindsight, I might have
been more technical in my discussion.

3. Many expressed being DX'ers as kids...and certainly understood
our love of radio. Out of 20, I'd say we had 8 or 9 amateur radio
ops, so that was a good point of connection. Their faces all
lit up as we played recordings of RJR and ZNS. Likewise when
they heard WAPI "nulled" and KNX 1070 traffic reports come up
out of the noise.

4. Best news, no one reported any problems with DX'ers.

5. After the meeting, some expressed surprise that I didn't mention
IBOC. Most of them seemed very skeptical about it's long term
success.

Also in attendance was the Chairman of the SBE Atlanta Chapter. We're
now trying to arrange a chance to speak with their group as well.

If other members are interested in reaching out to their local chapters,
I'd be happy to help out with presentation materials, Program
test CD's, etc.

You can find a contact name at:
http://www.sbe.org/

Scroll down on the left, and click the link marked "Chapter Meeting Information".
This beats writing letters that are rarely answered any day!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
IRCA CPC Chairman

Les Rayburn, director