[IRCA] Re: Did anyone have TT on 820 and 830 on Saturday AM?

[IRCA] Re: Did anyone have TT on 820 and 830 on Saturday AM?

Bruce,

After reading this, I kicked myself a few times because I didn't even think about that.  It makes sense.  I have never picked up anything on 819, but do have some 828 catches.  Last night, I decided to go check out the latest bulk load of cheap DVDs at Walmart.  I left with a bunch after sorting through 2000 or so to find the gems that were "hopefully" there.  I listened on the way home, and never even turned on the boatanchor when I got back.  I guess I should have.  There would likely have been audio on 819 with the strength of the tone.

Thinking of car radios, I remember one time back in the late 60's that I was listening in northern California on my old stock GM radio in my '65 Chevelle.  It was a great night for reception, and I had been listening to WCBS/880.  All through my listening, there was a tone (I didn't know about TPs then).  When they faded a bit, I was able to tune the radio right onto the center frequency of the tone, and it turned out to be BBC on 881/882 (can't remember which anymore).  That's the only TA I have ever heard, and I only got them once.

Thanks for the reminder on this.

Mike Hawkins

Bruce Portzer <bportzer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mike

At that time in the morning, they could have been hets from trans Pacific stations.  The 1 kHz het on 820 might have been from something on 819 (North Korea? New Zealand?) and the other could have been from 828 (Japan or Australia).

I've occasionally heard TP hets on the car radio while driving to work in the winter, though I've never gotten actual audio on such occasions.

It would be tough to tell the difference between a het and a TT on most car radios, what with the wide bandwidth and 10 kHz tuning steps.

Bruce
Seattle

Michael Hawkins wrote:
While driving between 0315-0330 PST, I was getting a 1 KHz tone on 820 and a 2.5-3 KHz (steady frequency) tone on 830.  No IDs or anything but tone heard.  I was getting audio on 820 from Baja and WBAP, and 830 had audio from KNCO/Grass Valley CA and KMXE/Orange CA.

Any hints would be gladly accepted.  Thanks!

Mike Hawkins
Tracy CA

Do you Yahoo!?

_______________________________________________ IRCA mailing list IRCA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://dallas.hard-core-dx.com/mailman/listinfo/irca Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing list are those of the original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org To Post a message: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do you Yahoo!?