[IRCA] Sweeps & Wobblers...

Several people have commented on how effectively sweep tones cut through the clutter during DX tests.  During both the WTTB test last weekend and the WNTP test a couple months earlier, I was able to easily hear the sweeps and some code, but nothing else.  This caused me to rethink my hesitancy to accept Cuba as the source of the Wobblers.

What had kept me from that conclusion were the several reports from the northeast and midwest of hearing the Wobbler through local or near local stations, with no sound of SS.  The sweep tones have shown their ability to cut through when no voice or music can be heard.  It now seems reasonable to assume the Wobbler tones could just as easily produce the interference that has been observed.  That being the case, I now believe that Cuba or vicinity could indeed be the origin of the Wobblers, as several DF results have suggested.

That of course still leaves unanswered what the cause of the Wobbler is.  Bad power, bad transmitter, or even malicious or clandestine intent, still remain possibilities.

W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (South East) Florida
[JRC NRD-535D, LF Engineering H-800 & M-601,
  Quantum Phaser, ANC-4 noise canceler, GAP DSP]