[IRCA] Re: Opinions About the Sony ICF-SW55

[IRCA] Re: Opinions About the Sony ICF-SW55

For what it's worth, I took my 2010, SW-55, and 7600G
with me to the other side of the continental divide in
the northern Colorado mountains a few years back and
tested them concurrently in the early afternoon to
compare their MW performance. The 2010 won hands down
and the 7600G was a bit ahead of the SW-55. The 2010
just heard many stations that were inaudible on the
SW-55 and the 7600G. I realize that this was basically
a test of sheer sensitivity, but the difference was
clear cut under those "extreme" radio conditions. The
SW-55 was a nice radio chock full of features, but I
got rid of it. As Magne has referred to, one should
consider their location in regards to the suitability
of a radio. There are many informative articles in the
IRCA "A DXer's Technical Guide" regarding performance
comparisons between radios. I own two different
editions of these manuals and refer to them regularly.
IMHO, they are unequalled for valuable DXing
information. Gerry Thomas also has a great section of
his DX Tools website where listeners have cast votes
for the best MW receivers. This section has been
incorporated into the 4th Edition of the the Technical
Guide. Good luck with your selection.

Best of DX

Craig