From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of WWWR
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 10:25 AM
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; NRC
Subject: [IRCA] Re: XM Indoors

The Delphi plan for an XM signal repeater (described below) is interesting.

Something I have not seen mentioned anywhere is that there already exists an alternate delivery mechanism for XM Radio.  In addition to the satellite signal, there is a terrestrial signal.  The XM receiver can select whichever source is delivering the currently best data.  I think this is available only in major metro areas and intended primarily to deal with building obstructions.  I imagine the signal I receive is intended for either the Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale areas, where taller buildings abound.  Since my satellite antenna is aimed at a fairly high angle - near the equator as I am - the problem of buildings in the line of sight is less here anyway, were there any.

In fact, my XM PCR reports three different signal strengths, east and west satellite, and terrestrial.  Most of the time, the terrestrial signal is the strongest at my location, but only by a little over the east coast satellite.  The terrestrial signal seems to have the widest level swings of the two.  Not surprisingly, the west coast satellite signal is substantially the weakest.

I have no idea where the terrestrial signal originates in my area, nor do I know if all XM radios can receive the signal.  Interestingly, following our rash of hurricanes this past season, the terrestrial signal all but disappeared for a while, even beyond the week long power outage we experienced here.  It has dropped out briefly at other times too, but the satellite just keeps on chugging.

Does anyone else have experience with or knowledge of these XM Radio terrestrial signal sources?

W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, Florida