Re: [IRCA] KTDD-1350-San Bernardino CA

Doug,

You're welcome.  They do call themself "The Toad" so that's who you got.  It seems like the ionosphere is moving in waves tonight.  I'm getting certain stations very strong that I never get strong, then I check back later, and things seem normal.  Later, they're back.  You may also check for KUHL-1440-Santa Maria if you can get through KMED.  I think they're on day power as well.  Also, the Tijuana stations are weak or off tonight due to storms.  I was able to get into 1470 and 1550 tonight, which is unusual.  Nothing new on 1470, but I was finally able to get KXEX-1550-Fresno.

That contest is definitely interesting.  Believe me, you won't run out of stations, but you may have to get scientific to keep the flow coming.  I am using two spreadsheets.  One is a list from FCC of everything in the west, which I have added three columns to...one for each call letter after the starting "K".  Every station that has not been heard has a formula applied to it so that it will show up as a needed letter for each contest tier once I start needing certain letters bad.  Using that, I can easily target certain stations that have more possibility of being received.  Then, all I have to do is receive them.  The second spreadsheet is more interesting.  As I log stations, I will enter them on one worksheet.  The next worksheet has 26 columns, one for each letter.  If I received KGO (as an example), I would enter "KGO" under the columns for K, G and O.  After I pull in about 30 stations for a tier, I start applying them to the tier by selecting stations that fit each needed letter, starting with the column that has the least number of stations in it.  By doing that, I can really maximize what I hear.  The only time I vary from that is if I hear something that I really don't think I will hear again.  The bad part is what's on the hot list in November isn't necessarily on the December list.  I have having trouble coming up with V stations, and that wasn't an issue in October or even through mid-November.  Now its tough.

Another interesting byproduct of this contest is that it makes you revisit your DX log.  I have found a number of stations that have changed call letters or city of license, which makes some new loggings.  Since the contest started, I have added 65 new loggings, 57 of which I can use in the contest.  The rest are Mexican or Turks & Caicos on 530.

I have a feeling that I would have a whole lot less time available if I could find a job.  Would be a good trade-off though!  Try the spreadsheet idea I mentioned here...you'll be able to add a lot of new stations to the contest log by doing it scientifically

Mike Hawkins
Tracy CA

Doug Pifer <oregon4wd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks Mike,
I owe this one to you. No ID, but heard "toad country", local weather, local area towns mentioned, CW music. By the way, your smokin' on the contest, way to go. I'm gonna run out soon.
TNX for the heads-up!
73- Doug Pifer
Albany, OR
0246