[HCDX] Glenn Hauser loggings July 1-4

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. R. Solh, 17700 via UK, July 3 at 1427-1433 once again
with ``Solh Theme`` at its apparent new regular daily time; some enjoyable
music before and after as well, same things repeated daily. There was
intermittent rapid pulsing QRM, like a ``woodpecker`` spreading roughly
17630-17730.

Like the day before, again July 4 the Solh Theme played at 1427 on 17700 via
UK; no woodpecker this time. We are dying to find out the name of this music,
performers, etc., if it and its companion pieces are available on CD or
download, but have no way of contacting Radio Solh to ask them. Can anyone
help, or find a web or satellite feed which could enable good quality recording
of all this Solh music? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHAD. Hunk of gunk was centred around 7287, July 2 at 0515, leaving BBC
Portuguese a little clearer on 7290 than when the badly mistuned 6165
transmitter is on 7288 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR. La Voz de los Andes sets aside the evangelizing for a morning
newscast, a part of which I monitored July 4 at 1146 on very strong 11960.
Ecuador is protesting to Colombia over clandestine broadcasts being heard in
northern Ecuador`s bordering provinces, something to do with FARC and Gran
Colombia, and an FM station also mentioned. Apparently this is viewed as a
threat to Ec sovereignty.

HCJB has quite an archive of news stories on their website, but could not find
this one. There are no dates on the stories! And the filtro search apparently
only applies to the headlines, not the content. It seems that FARC has
previously made incursions into Ecuador, and suspected of growing coca there.
[see also PERÚ]

It`s been far too long (April 3 in DXLD 7-042) since my last check of HCJB
Spanish in the morning to see if they are still announcing the wrong
frequencies more than a year later. July 4 at 1159:30 there was no canned ID,
but live announcements after the news, going into timesignal and missionary
program. But at 1259:40 I retuned in a few seconds too late to 11960, hearing
them say ``9745``, while they are really on 11690 and 11960, so the
misinformation continues unabated (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE. July 1 at 0520 I ran across some lovely exotic music on 11645;
dissonant harmonious and monotonous singing, two voices and instruments. Seemed
to be album tracks with pauses but never any announcements, past 0545. Kept
listening, but dozed off by 0600 if there was any ID. Looking it up later, it
must have been the R. Filia Albanian service from VOG at 05-06, with English to
follow (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1365, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Solar-terrestrial indices for 30 June follow. Solar flux 74 and mid-latitude
A-index 4. The mid-latitude K-index at 0600 UTC on 01 July was 2 (16 nT). No
space weather storms were observed for the past 24 hours (SEC via DXLD)

** KOREA NORTH. Checking Wolfgang Büschel`s report of VOK on new 15185v to NAm:
July 3 at 1345 I could hear no carrier around that frequency, only RHC on 15190
and something on 15180. VOK was poorly audible on 11710 and still on // 9335 in
English; meanwhile, China was strong as usual on jamming frequencies 15265 and
15285 plus Firedrake on 13970; also at 1419 in French, VOK audible on 9335 //
11710, but now there was at least a carrier from something on 15185.

Wolfgang Büschel meanwhile had figured out that 15185v is axually a spur from
VOK 15245v to Europe, along with 15305v, and 9335 remains on the air (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH [non]. July 4 I had a chance to listen to Open Radio for North
Korea, via KWHR 9930. In English at tune-in 1127, I first did not realize what
it was. Woman with some news of S. Korea, then same item translated into Korean
read by a man (not merely a voice-over, but entire items each). This went on
for several minutes, always with music bed, potted up between items for
dramatic stingers; something about Arroyo and the Philippines, 1131 on the
World Series of Poker 2005! As if that could be news a biyear later? And at
1133 about Mariah Carey`s comeback with her alter-ego ``Emancipation of Mimi``
number 4 on the Billboard chart. When did this happen, really? Google search
points to April 2005 when it was released.

So ORNK is passing off two-year old stuff as news? Well, sure, they are a bit
behind in Korea North with what is going on and have a lot of catching up to do
thanks to ORNK. It`s unclear why they are doing the English. If they gave the
items in Korean first, and English second, the latter might be useful for
English learning. The English/Korean alternation was over at 1135 when a YL
Korean announcement, ID? aired, then 1136 a long discussion in Korean recorded
in an echoey room; by 1143 the signal was much weaker, and at 1157 Pomp &
Circumstance was interrupted by KWHR ID and frequency change announcement.
However, after 1200 I could not hear anything on 12130 when Hoa Mai Radio in
Vietnamese was scheduled to air via Hawaii on Wednesday (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** LIBYA [non?]. Tuned in new 15550 at 1205 July 4 to hear news in English just
ending with ID for V. of Africa from the Great Jamahiriyah, 1206.6 into French,
1212 to music. Audio was good; fair signal with deep fades. Hard to decide if
this were direct or via France. Not much was making it from Europe or Africa on
19m at this hour; Sweden audible on 15240, poor. English news must have started
close to 1200; would there be more at 1300? No, still in Arabic, but now with
QRM. That would be VOR Moscow site to S Asia at 12-15, which I used to hear
without Libyan interference (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Somewhat surprised to hear XERF 1570 Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila, past 8
am local at mid-summer, until one realizes that 1300 UT is only 6:28 am local
mean time, altho still well after sunrise which was at 1119 UT, or 4:47 am LMT.
It was still dominating 1570 on skywave July 4 at 1309 with news from the
Sistema Nacional de Noticiarios, initially quite steady signal, 1312
interviewing BBC guy about the release of correspondent Alan Johnston. 1318
plugged BBC Mundo, IMER, and Antena Radio, the latter being the current
program, which we used to hear on IMER`s defunctified SW station XERMX; still
audible past 1330 but with some fadeouts. Fortunately, there are no 1570
daytimers around here; the two Okies in the NE and SW corners are seldom heard
and too far for daytime groundwave. Altho Spanish is fine for me (I only wish I
had a complete program sked for XERF), I maintain it is a pity that IMER is not
putting any English on this powerful (100 kW now?) transmitter to make it a
true external service which would have a much greater audience than XERMX ever
did on its puny, ailing SW transmitters (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** PERU. Morning of July 4 either on VOA or BBC Spanish news --- I forget which
--- there was an item about a state of emergency in several provinces in the
departments of Huánuco, San Martín and Ucayali in the Peruvian Amazon, due to
Sendero Luminoso activity; many of the names were familiar from SW stations.
Here`s a current story about that I found:
http://www.rpp.com.pe/portada/politica/85331_1.php
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also ECUADOR

** U K [non]. Another transmission to LAm with FE QRM: BBC 11825 in Spanish via
Guiana French at 11-12 only, July 4 at 1152. That is at 305 degrees, not far
from usward, and the QRM ChiCom jamming and/or VOA Tinang, Philippines in
Mandarin at 09-13, 349 degrees (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Checking VOA Spanish, 7370, July 4 around 1115, I could hear some
Russian in the background. That would be KNLS, per HFCC at 315 degrees, while
Greenville is at 172 degrees, considered an acceptable collision since we`re
not supposed to be listening to either, in between them. Later VOA announced
other frequencies are 9535, 13790
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. One is no longer surprised to hear languages like Vietnamese on the
US AM dial. July 4 at 1331 UT on 1600 kHz, skywave still not quite gone 2.2
hours after local sunrise here, something in Vietnamese topped the channel,
1332 pedicure ad (unless there is a Vietnamese word that happens to resemble
that); at 1337 mentioned VAB = Vietnamese American Broadcasting.

That`s based in Houston on 1320 (ex-KXYZ?), homepage http://www.vabhouston.com/
Found this player running, but silently at 1707 UT check July 4:
http://www.vabhouston.com/phatthanhtt.php

But this player for 1600 in Dallas worx:
http://www.vabhouston.com/phatthanhdallas.php

So over 400 km away I was hearing KRVA licensed to Cockrell Hill, per NRC AM
Log 2006-2007, with 5 kW daytime, CP for 25 kW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Be a PS3 game guru.