[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 18

** INDONESIA. VOI still missing from 9525 for another day, Oct 18 around 1345.
Since the last thing we heard from this a few days earlier was music stuck in a
4-note loop, we wonder if the studio-transmitter feed has been totally lost, so
they turned off the transmitter (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN. Checking 24 hours later for more MW DX from Japan and FE, conditions
were not so good; all I could be sure of was a weak carrier on 747 at 1230 UT
October 18 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MICRONESIA. PMA, The Cross, presumed, 4755.25, Oct 18 at 1250. First time I
have received this, tho unsatisfyingly. And surprisingly, I was getting it best
on the YB-400 with random wire inside the house, which must have a better S/N
ratio and or match than the longer external wires. Mix of music and talk, 1251
announcement by YL better modulated, but still could not make it out nor hear
any ID or ``I like it!`` SINPO 23232 at best, main problems being neighborhood
noise bursts, and TVI swish. No problem here from slightly stronger
Chindonesian signals on 4750, but I wonder how it is in Micronesia on those
fixed-tuned Galcom radios PMA is handing out, ``you will only listen to us``.

1258 switch to another song, soft gospel praise music as I would characterize
it, straight through 1300 with no ID or sign off, 1304 fading, and I moved to
V. of Turkey; but rechecked at 1322 carrier still detectable, the offset
determined by zeroing BFO on WWV 5000, punching up 4725, and noting a het very
close to middle C (256 Hz), and still audible at last check 1330. Obviously
they do not go off the air between midnight and 6 am local as in their PDF
program schedule for FM and SW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. For the second day in a row, Oct 18, no big blobs of distorted spurs
heard from VOR on 19m! Altho propagation and reception were much worse than
previously. At 1325 check, 15550 had weak but non-distorted signal; 15510 also
seemed OK, no more buzz/motorboating so they may have fixed that too (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. Wanted to monitor Live from Turkey this Thursday Oct 18 from 1250 on
15450, but sidetracked by Micronesia, q.v. Tuned in Turkey at 1305 during music
break; 1310 the two guys chatting revealed that the 2030 thru 0700 English
broadcasts [the last on webcast only] are pre-recorded repeats of the 1830
broadcast, which is why you hear a time check for 21:30 local at the beginning
of the ``news`` on later broadcasts. Said this had been the case for two years,
but they are belatedly getting around to announcing explicitly that the later
broadcasts, including the news, are repeats.

However, this Sunday, October 21, the news will be live on each broadcast to
report results of the referendum, as was the case during the last elexion. One
of the guys lamented that he was on duty then, and had to stay awake and find
something to do during the 5-hour break between 2200 and 0300 UT broadcasts.
Quickly closed and said goodbye at 1319, without giving their names.

In fact, I have never heard them identify themselves, altho maybe they do at
the beginning, which I often miss like today. They talk about their personal
lives, give their personal opinions, yet we don`t know who they are! Quite
possibly we could not understand their names anyway unless they spelled them
out ? why not? Is there a VOT policy that announcers will remain anonymous on
the air? It`s not the only SW station with such a strange way of doing things
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. I`m beginning to wonder if it`s sabotage, perhaps by disgruntled
union members, if not Comsymps, rather than negligence? R. Martí program audio
still breaking up badly, Oct 18 at 1329 on 11845. Signal very strong, not what
I usually get from Greenville aimed south as scheduled, but instead from Delano
aimed ESE right across OK. And the SAME // breakups were now heard on 7405,
supposed to be Greenville, also much stronger than usual and both overriding
any jamming, but completely useless with the audio problem. Actually 11845 and
7405 were very slightly out of synch, so there was a reverb rather than an echo
between them. 11845 also had noise on the sidebands like the day before.
Rechecked at 1530, still same breaking up on 11845, and at 1545 noted that
audio was NOT synchronized with non-breaking up 11930, and 13820, also supposed
to be on the air from Greenville at this hour, missing (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST) ###

http://mail.yahoo.com