[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 10-11

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. On Oct 11 it was convenient to check whether R. Solh,
17700 via Rampisham UK, was still playing exactly the same recording as heard
weeks ago on at least four different dates with exactly the same defect, music
CD skipping or sticking, at 1346-1349 UT. Yes! Exactly the same thing happened
yet again; then talk about the Taliban (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ANTARCTICA. LRA36, Radio Nacional Arcángel San Gabriel, 15476, was coming in
well Oct 11. It would have been much more listenable here if it were not for my
local crackling line noise problem which was close to the S-9 peaks of RNASG,
but I kept with it from tune-in at 1943 until off at 2102. It was mostly music,
with pauses for announcements, all in Spanish, many of them pre-produced
promos, altho it was hard to follow much of what was being said. First, I
compared the signal to Buenos Aires but 15345 was dominated by Morocco in
Arabic, and a very weak carrier could just be detected on the low side of it.
Had there been no QRM, I would not be surprised if LRA36 was stronger than
LRA## (didn`t the 15345 transmitter once have its own specific call?)

1943, singing was in progress; 1945 YL announcement; 1947 songs; 2000
disco-beat music ran past hourtop; 2001 YL talked over music briefly (which
annoys me), no ID heard, then brought the same music up again, until it ended
shortly later. ``De Esperanza al Mundo`` mentioned this and a few more times,
presumably the program title. 2002 promos; 2005 giving numbers (phone?),
2005:30 mentioned LRA36 with address, said that ``hasta las 18, seguiremos
informando`` but program continued to be mostly music, not informative --- in
fact, there was precious little in the way of Antarctic culture ;-\. More music
and announcements; 2028 YL said it was música folclórica, again talking over
the music. If you really appreciate the music you will not talk over it nor
applaud a live performance until the music stops completely! 2029 mentioned
``De Esperanza al Mundo`` again, more music. 2059 announcement by OM, did not
sound like a formal sign-off, but stopped at 2101 and carrier off at 2102*
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** COSTA RICA. Oct 11 at 1930 I found a defective signal in Spanish on about
17595. The carrier level would drop every few seconds, but not disappear
completely. During the drops the program modulation would be replaced by noise.
I figured this frequency had to be either Spain or WEWN, so checked the REE CR
relay on 17850, and found it was // to 17595. BUT --- there should be a
satellite delay, as 17595 is supposed to be direct from Spain. These were
exactly synchronized, so 17593.5, as I then measured it more precisely, must be
a spur from 17850, and only coincidentally near another REE frequency from the
home site Noblejas. Ahá, there should be another one an equal distance, 256.5
kHz, above 17850. That would be 18106.5 --- Yes! there it was, the same kind of
signal with power cutting up and down.

So this explains the distorted signal Raúl Saavedra has been hearing nearby in
Costa Rica on 18105, but he must be getting it by groundwave. My previous guess
was that this could be LV del Guaviare, Colombia on 3 x 6035, since he has also
heard that on 12070 = 2 x 6035, but he also reported later that 18105 is
something different.

When you have two matching spurs at a certain distance from the fundamental, it
is time to check at double the separations for more of them: 17337.0 --- yes,
much weaker but I could match the carrier level jumps with 17593.5; Also
18363.0 but just barely detectable, probably because the prevailing MUF was not
propagating that 1-MHz-higher frequency quite as well.

HFCC schedules do not show the day-of-week variations in REE timings:
17850 CRI 15-23, 17595 NOB 10-22

So we go to EiBi who has it all detailed:
17850 CR  M-F 18-20, Sat 16-23, Sun 15-23
17595 E   M-F 10-15, Sat 12-21, Sun 12-20

So on weekdays the spurs would end at 2000, and 17593.5 spur would QRM REE
itself 17595 from Spain at: M-F 18-20, Sat 16-21, Sun 15-20 (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** FRANCE. Noticed DRM on new frequencies, 15790-15795-15800, Oct 10 at 1403.
Found the source right away in
http://www.drm.org/livebroadcast/livebroadcast.php
and what luck, it`s only for two days!
0700-1500 10/10-10/11 15795 - Moscow 150 RFI French Issoudun
That would be for the DRM symposium being held in Moscow, a late addition to
special broadcasts previously publicized from Woofferton and Wertachtal (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDIA [and]. AIR Vividh Bharati service, 9870, at 1248 Oct 11, quite a
contrast between its lively music and the solemn organ music from WEWN on 9885.
Be happy! Azimuth for this is 320 degrees from Banglalore, says Jose Jacob,
which puts it right across western Europe, and Costa Rica (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** MICRONESIA. I`ve yet to log PMA The Cross, as I`m not losing sleep over just
another gospel huxter, and I don`t count countries heard anyway. But I check
for it from time to time. Oct 11 around 1225, not even a carrier on 4755, aside
the China/Indonesia mix on 4750, so despite the local noise level and
atmospherics, I wondered if PMA was really off the air. Yes: reports came in
from Sei-ichi Hasegawa, Japan and a few minutes earlier by Mauno Ritola,
Finland, that they had no trace of it either (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. While the day before, the 15510 area was blotched by a spur from VOR
on 15605, as I reported, rechecked Oct 10 at 1356, there was another signal
from VOR, which also had a buzz on its carrier, not // 15605. Closed with web
address, 1359 VOR IS, simultaneous but not synchronized with 15550 and 15605,
1400 ID in Turkish and then just buzz until off at 1401* This is listed in HFCC
as Samara, 140 degrees, which doesn`t seem right for Turkey:

15510 1200 1600 40-42,49,54,58 SAM 250 140 1234567 250307 281007 D RUS VOR GFC

EiBi however says 15510 at 12-14 is for Afghanistan in its languages, but I`m
sure I heard `Burasi Moskva(sp?)`. Axually, this must have been the *start of
the Turkish broadcast which per EiBi is supposed to be on other frequencies:

1400 1500 RUS Voice of Russia TU ME 7325a 11985m 1170a 13855m

Apparently the spur the day before completely obscured this other VOR
transmission.

While the dirty spur from VOR was around 15510 on Oct 10, things were different
Oct 11: centered on 15640, where the YFR relay is supposed to be, and maybe was
anyway, buried under the QRM. At 1306 found this very distorted signal
splattering with spikes, worst between 15615 and 15660, ruining Greece on 15630
during talk in unID language, but into non-Christian music at 1311 so decided
it was not YFR. Then checking the lower edge of the blob, the modulation
obviously matched VOR Hindi service on 15605. But the 15605 transmitter was
responsible. The scheduled // of 15550 was absent, so I think that was the
transmitter to blame, badly mistuned around 15640. Confirming that it was
separate from 15605, that frequency went into English at 1400 while 15640 blob
did not. This mess was also monitored by Olle Alm in Sweden and Wolfgang
Büschel in Germany --- all of us off the back if really aimed at India, but
very strong here. Wolfgang also notified the Russian transmitter operators
about the problem, so we`ll see if it`s fixed by the next day. There have also
been similar problems in the 7.0 MHz area in the European evenings, perhaps
from the same faulty unit (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. The Turks are furious about the US congressional resolution
affirming the Ottomans` genocide of the Armenians in 1915. Predictably, this
was the only topic of VOT`s Live from Turkey on Thu Oct 11, fair on 15450 at
1250. The two announcers went on and on about this, asserting that France is
dominated by the Armenians, and the USA by the Jews, with Pelosi their puppet.
The Armenian diaspora is using this issue for their own benefit, to the
detriment of Armenians at home. How can the US be self-righteous about this,
when the US is committing far greater genocide in Iraq, and the Israelis in
Palestine?? ``The US is taking pleasure over things that never happened``. At
1306 took a late break for music to cool off, then more of same as I moved on
to monitor other things. Will this be repeated on the UT Friday 0300 broadcast
on 5975? Christopher Lewis in England noticed that the Tuesday LFT, aired live
at 1850, did repeat on later English broadcasts that day, contrary to schedule
folder (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. While checking out the REE Costa Rica spurs on 17 MHz band, Oct 11
around 2106 and earlier, I heard no trace of KVOH 17775, so may be off the air;
when on, it can produce another set of spurs (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. WBCQ, 18910-CLSB, Oct 11 at 2107 check was not only on the air, but
propagating well with good audio. Enough carrier to seem AM, but confirmed as
LSB, no USB, on the DX-398. Village People takeoff was playing; instead of
``YMCA`` it was ``YHWH`` --- as in Yahweh, yuk2, as Rod Hembree tries to worm
his weird anti-scientific theology into the in(?) crowd (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 13745, checked again Wed Oct 10 at 1325, M talking continuously
with occasional brief music bits; could not make out much, but heard Azerbaijan
mentioned, and later Pakistan. Also thought I heard an occasional Russian word,
such as `druzhya`. At 1346 there seemed to be an ID, Radio A---? but could not
make it out. Then a musical interlude until a W began speaking at 1350; From
1352 eclipsed by the big OC from CRI-via-Habana on 13740 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST) ###

http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC