[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs March 20

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. R. Solh reception was better than usual, 15265 via
Rampisham UK, March 20 at 1430, so was looking forward to another replay of the
Solh Theme Song which has been appearing without fail every day at 1451-1457.
But not today! Some urgent speaking was going at 1450, and it was not until
1453 that the song which always precedes it started; and not until 1458 till
the Solh Theme began, 7 minutes late. And of course was cut off abruptly at
1500 when the transmitter must close down. However, they had the courtesy to
fade it down in the last few seconds before cutoff (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR. I occasionally run across HCJB closing down its all-evening-long
Spanish service on 9745, and always the same thing happens. After the national
anthem at approximately 0500, and a pause, they start playing some nice Andean
music, and that is always interrupted abruptly at precisely 0504* when the
transmitter cuts off the air. Why do they do this? Yet another instance of
automation gone wild and no human minding the store to control what actually
goes on the air. NA traditionally means the end of transmission, so they should
not start playing more music after it. If they do, they should at least let it
run until it finishes! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUIANA FRENCH. DRM test, 17870-17875-17880 on March 20 was already buzzing
at 1355 check, unlike the day before (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDIA. Only AIR Delhi is supposed to be using the aeronautical band
frequency 15050, for Sinhala at 1300-1500. Nevertheless, March 19 at 1352 I
found a heavy mix of two different services, one of them with Indian vocal
music, and the other speaking in an unknown language. Both continued past 1400
without a break, and still at 1408 recheck. At 1411, it sounded like there were
THREE different audio streams mixing. By 1440 one speaker mentioned ``Bharat``
and Sri Lanka, so likely the Sinhala service, also at 1449 with the usual
chanting closing that service as heard previously on other frequencies. At 1500
everything was off.

Meanwhile, I looked up what other external language services AIR has at this
time supposedly on various other frequencies. Dari switching to Pashto at 1415;
Sindhi; Nepali. The two (or three?) transmitters were well synchronized in
frequency as I could not detect any beat. The relative audio levels did vary
somewhat, so I think there were at least two on the air, rather than a horrible
audio feed mixup radiated from a single unit. Somewhat better coordination
among multiple transmitter sites is needed. Can anyone figure out exactly what
was happening here? I seem to recall a previous instance of the Dari/Pashto
service being on the wrong frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. I was expecting to hear XEYU, 9599+, March 20 at 1343 check, since
it had been reported back on the air the previous afternoon, but nothing (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. March 19 at 1349 I noticed some hi-pitched time pips on 15000, on
top of WWV/H. There was no announcement until 1350, but some pips were doubled
or skipped. Then from 1350 added rapid pips between each second, maybe 10 of
them ?-- I think this is some kind of binary code, which some timesignal
stations do. This was still the case until 1400 when replaced by a continuous
carrier. Meanwhile, I realized this was actually centered on 14996, so it must
be one of the Russians. Finally at 1409:20 ID repeated several times in code as
RWM, which is Moscow. From 1410 the pips every second, some of them double,
resumed (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Finding fabulous fares is fun.