[HCDX] the whole DX logs (OCT 5, 2006 - MAR 16, 2007)

Repport from:
Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
4190 Edward Higgins
H8Y 3M9
Pierrefonds (Montreal's West Island), Quebec, Canada
Pierrefonds-Roxboro
1-514-685-0714
Equipment:
MW: Sanyo MCD-S830 barefoot
SW: Sangean CST-818 with a 20-meters random wire in our backyard

Warm greetings to all of you !

The fall was very buzzy FOR ME and, although I got to do a considerable amount of DXing, I didn't had any chances to send complete logs since the last few months, due to a complete lack of time due to the studies and the spent looking for airchecks of an awesome Parisian radio station as well as a girl I can't stop thinking to. However, since I started writing this e-mail 4 months ago, a lot of things changed. I made up some friends in France, loosed some of the interest I had in DX'ing (mainly because I had lots of compassion for a girl in my advanced Spanish class and she didn't want to be happy and anti-masochist as I am, I made a crisis of identity and stopped listening almost anything in Spanish and spend most of my free time looking for airchecks of French stations). The depression du to that chick also made my marks decreased and, in order to avoid a failure in something that, anyways, interested me more or less, I stopped the technical college. I plan to go toward languages and will start German classes soon. All this means that DX'ing wasn't really high on my list, but things may always change, especially as far as late season TA and LA condx are concerned or as far as the next e-skip FM DX season goes. Like some of you who were following my posts over Hard-Core DX since the past few years (2000-2001) have saw, the DX bug is never completly healed and, speaking of heel, healing of something so complexe and so fascinating such as how the ionosphere work acts on bringing on intriguing and unexpected foreign stuff on MW and SW is nearly impossible. That being said, I joined the NRC last November, when I was still interested to a somewhat greater extent in MW DX'ing and this one is my FIRST REAL REPPORT. I would please a lot Bruce to apologise for my absolute lack of contributions until now !

Some news: on the evening of Saturday, November 18, the "96.7 Sensacional" feed of the Radio Rebelde network was noted on several unusual channels such as SW-5025. It's only the second time I hear this relay over shortwave. It's also the second time, I hear that on MW 670. Usually, this highly entertaining FM feed is only relayed on MW 600, 710 (mixing with WOR here in Pierrefonds/Montreal) and 1180 kHz. However, as I write this, in spite of little listening, tuning to the above-mentionated Rebelde channels, I was only treated to the booring delivery of the usual baseball games. It seems as if the Rebelde's La Sensacional schedule is extremely erratic, meaning little luck to tune in to what is, along with the nearly-impossible Radio Nuevitas 103.5 (CMHL), my favorite Cuban target, as far as the music and jingles-package are concerned.

But, as far as MW DX is concerned, the biggest news is the opening of CHOU 1450, an ethnic station playing lots of Middle-Eastern flavoured eurodance music. Graveyarder as it is, its signal acted as a radiator for CFMB-1280 (another local) and I have a barely audible whistle of CFMB-1280 all across the empy QRGs, using my trusty Sanyo MCD-S830 boombox portable receiver. The transmitter QTH was only 5 kilometers from my home QTH, in the industrial park of Saint-Laurent (a suburb in the western part of the Montreal's Island just like Pierrefonds/Roxboro). I phoned the station and on subsequent checks, the band was clear again. I wish good luck to all of you trying to pick this one up.

Otherwise, I didn't checked out the new local on 1650 that our dear collegue Shawn Axelrod got yesturday. However, the nearby 10 kW CFAV "Radio Boomer" Quinze-Soixante-Dix is harming the lower half of the MW band. Also, as you probably can see, 80% of the unreported listening was done during the mid-to-late fall of 2006. This year, very little DX'ing has been done yet, hence very few logs. That being said, there is some CFAV QRM on the lower SW QRGs (mostly around the 160m ham band), but much less fewer than in the past. Dear Goerge Maroti, do you know any 120 or 90m Brazilians, Peruvians or Bolivians I could try during average conditions ? Thanks a lot !

RQ-910 is having a new program on Sunday evenings. I haven't heard as of yet any mention of this px on any DX list. It is know as TALENTO NACIONAL. Check it ou below or, even better give it a try on 910 kHz the next Sunday and tell me what do you think of. From Cape Cod, our colleague, Mark Connelly, shouldn't have any problem checking this new terrific show, providing he don't have dutties at his Billerica home QTH.

Radio Quito was noted during the wee hours of Sunday, November 12, 2006. It was temporarily active and it was sadly missed on the subsequent early morning's checks.

Of major interest for SW DX'ers, during the early evening of March 3, 2006, I briefly heard somewhat FAIR PEAKS on 6220 with rock and dance music. Unfortunatly, the Europirate using this channel (!!) was killed by awful noises coming from an unkown source (a computer somewhere in the beighborhood, I'll guess), so I couldn't secure an identification. It was only the second showing of this highly entertaining DX catche and, BY FAR, the best one. The least I can say, is that I did have some of the music taped (unless I deleted some of it by mistake). A big thanks goes to George Maroti for having pointing out to me that Mystery Radio was the strongest pirate at his Mount Kisko, NY QTH and for informing me that, although relatively weak, Laser Hot Hits is on the aire, around the clock !!!

Into the logs right now:

MEDIUMWAVE DX
Trans-Atlantic DX:

585 SPAIN,   Radio Nacional de España, Madrid  OCT 10 0010 - instrumental music played followed by man and woman talking about the music just played. Almost fair -> SIO 243 with minor splatter from 580 and 590. Probably the best showing of this TA powerhouse this season yet (there are still 2 or 3 weeks until April, so nothing is lost) and it would have been way much better, have the auroral disturbances not hit the Earth during the following days. +FEB 11 0226 - Talk show about health issues with 60s and 70s sounding Female pop-rock vocals thrown in during the breaks in the chatter. Poor with moderate, but still-annoying adjacent channel splatter. SIO 232-1. Still, condx for TA-DX were already beginning to improove, as have noted my dear Quebec City area's colleague, Sylvain Naud (on MWDX). (Chiochiu-QC)

Pan-American DX:

550 VENEZUELA,   YVKE, Caracas, Distrito Federal  NOV 21 0215 - with CHLN Trois-Rivières nulled: IDs including "de la mano con el pueblo" slogan followed by the "Noticiero Mundial" fairly lenghty newscast. NOV 21 0221 - One of the "Noticiero Mundial"'s items was actually very funny. Anti-chavists manifestants shouting were recording and the announcer sayed for the Chavists to hurry up for voting, otherwise the anti-democratic opposition will be winning. This reflects a lack of implicit analytical logic, since you don't need to understand the relatively utopic ideas nor the speach of Hugo Chávez, but his actual narcisistic personality !!! Unfortunatly, he WINNED WAY (!!!!!) too easily and this mean that while some lazy people will be having a greater quality of live, not most of the "real" people will be having a serious deal with both the physiologic and hedonistic aspects of everyday life and the economy will loose it's unique aspects that made Venezuela such well regarded by foreigners. As far as DX'ing is concerned, it the third strongest YV in the Montreal area, after YVNM-780 and YVKS-750. (Chiochiu-QC)

555 ST KITTS AND NEVIS,   ZIZ, Basseterre  DEC 7 0214 ? - 70s rock music with talkover by the announcer in and out of the mx, followed by a lover's rock reggea track, which was followed by roots reggea track (a lovely track, in the style of Peter Tosh, but not as good as the music played on the sadly missed Aventure FM 105.9, Paris, 1988 - is anyone having any tapes of this one ?). SINPO 32342 with "short-lenght deep fadings", but somewhat annoying CHLN-550 Trois-Rivières splatter. (Chiochiu-QC)

580 PUERTO RICO,   WKAQ, San Juan  OCT 23 0207 - Poor signal, "Está es La Informativa 580...mayor avancio informativo". I can't find the tape right now and I should have sent the log right after I heard it to avoid a possibly unaccurately transcribed ID. Semi-regular this season ! Also heard several times in November and December this season, though never really strong ! Very fluttery reception and fair at its best ! The Auroral openings around the 23rd of october and during December definitively helped ! As far as the 23rd of October opening, I guess this solar flare was part of a game played by Aventure FM's ghost - hi !!! The demise of this absolutely awesome French station still affects me in many ways !!! In any event, Puerto Rico is seldom received in Montreal ! (Chiochiu-QC)

640 VENEZUELA,   YVQO, Unión Radio, Puerto-La Cruz, Anzoátegui  DEC 7 0025 - besibol venezolano Los Leones de Caracas vs a Carabobo's team. Fair for a couple of minutes, then slowly faded down to an incomprehensible jumble. A severe aurora disturbances harmed Latin American reception ALMOST as much as it did with the northern domestic stuff. Still, I came accros this one wich is seldom heard nowadays. In 2002-2003, it was booming in at semi-local levels 1 night out of 2. Nowadays, I can barely hear them 2 or 3 times each season. Is anyone having any DX airchecks of Onda Porteñas 640 ? Back in the early 90s and earlier, YVQO-640 was a tropical music station. I never found out anything much than a few stories and logs. Curious mind enquire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Chiochiu-QC)

750 VENEZUELA,   YVKS, Radio Caracas Radio, Caracas, Distrito Federal DEC 4 0232 - Hugo Chávez congratulating his voters and shouting with happiness many words regarding "La Constitución Bolivariana". What this means is that he changed the constitution. What that means: initially, instead of having the right, according to the constitution to be choosen once for 4 years, he added 1 year to the election's ended term + the right to be choosen for the 2nd time. Nowadays, though, he can be choosen as many times as the people want. But things are much moe complicated than one will thing !!! He is very into military stuff. The results would become very controling toward his side and, in the case he loosed his 3rd term, fights against the (slight) majority could be strong into the "political game". Strong peaks, some deep fadings, but not that bad overall. SINPO 43323. (Chiochiu-QC)

780 VENEZUELA,   YVNM, Radio Coro, Falcón DEC 20 0448 - playing a high-energy merengue flavoured electro / dance / house tune with a melancolic mood, as far as the melody goes. Building in strenght. The upcoming song was "Me Engañaste" (You Cheated Me) by FRANKIE RUIZ, the master of salsa erotica without any ID break at this time. Unfortunatly, Frankie Ruiz sadly passed away in 1998 due to overdosis, just like the French singer Jacky Quartz. First of all, jealousy never means healthy love, because the definition of love is the sensation of mixing up with the soul of your loved one and if your loved one loves someone else, you have to mix up with her soul and ACCEPT the MULTIPLE LOVE PATTERN of your loved soul !!!!! There are many chicks that are having the spiritual skills highly attractive for being complementary to the souls of SEVERAL men. Secondly, there are everywhere people attracked more by an illusory cynism than by tangible hedonism fashions (like the uncoditionnal, highly sensual and delicate acomoclitism touch wich is far more healthy than taking drugs) !!! Sad! +  NOV 2 0714 - Female tropical dance vocal (sounded like a fusion of tecnocumbia and rythmic CHR music) followed ID "Ruta Música 7-80 dando la hóra 3, 9 minutos" followed by another one "Radio Coro 7-80 AM, más popular" ID talked over a "Radio Coro Siete-Ochenta, por en vivo" SINGED JINGLE, then a melancolic HJ vallenato. Beware of the "más popular" IDs. If you never had the opportunity to enjoy a Colombian vallenato (very popular in Venezuela too), then stay tune for this kind of IDs ! "...más popular" is ALWAYS used when a vallenato is about to begun. So if you hear this ID on 780 kHz, you'll know what to expect. Vallenato can be very nice if the melodies are melancolic, like the one I enjoyed 3 months ago. Otherwise, it sounds fuzzy. ALSO, the "...más popular" IDs are NEVER used before a gaita or a joropo, not even before a cumbia. They always have something to do with vallenatos, in the mind of Radio Coro's programators ! "...más popular" means more from the heart of the people, from the heart of the average people ! Folkloric music is always regarded as being the music of the "average PEOPLE", the PEOPLE of the countrylands, hence the Spanish and Romanian terms according to that convention. In Romanian, "muzica populara" actually means "Authentical folk music" ! Vallenato is the Colombia's national folk style. (Chiochiu-QC)

800 NETHERLANDS ANTILES,   PJB, Radio Transmundial, Bonaire OCT 5 0201 - something sounding like "De Dios" way under local CJAD Montreal, breaking through it's open carrer. NEW ! Country #21 (Chiochiu-QC)

910 VENEZUELA,   YVRQ, AM Center, Caracas, Distrito Federal JAN 28 0244 - stations IDs + a short spot for the "Talento Nacional" px followed by a progressive flaboured 70s Venezuelan rock tune, in the style of Vytas Brenner, but with soothing vocals on it. All this was followed by a "Tradición venezolana en el circutio AM Center" and a joropo vocal. Initially fairly strong, then faded down to very weak and flutterry. SINPO 34422. Not that regular, thanks to CMAF Radio Cadena Agramonte CO-CHANNEL QRM. Fortunatly, during this late January Sunday evening, the QRG was empty, allowing for RQ-910 to came in clear. Still, it is the fourth easiest YV after YVNM-780, YVKS-750 and YVKE-550 (with CHLN nulled) in the Montreal area. (Chiochiu-QC)

SHORTWAVE DX

4920 ECUADOR,   Radio Quito, Quito NOV 19 0610 - w/ pasillos and short ann. SINPO 23343. REACTIVATED, but unheard during the few subswewuent listenings I've done during the WEE hours !!! Tape is available if anyone wants to have a look at it !!! (Chiochiu-QC)

6220 EUROPIRATE,   Mystery Radio NOV 18 2214 - bursts of eurotrance music. Poor peaks on an otherwise VERY THRESHOLD signal, incomprehensible in noises. SINPO 13211 + MAR 3 2305 - rock songs, as well as dance ones. DJ greeting his listeners. SINPO 22232. Initially poor to somehwat fair, but killed by awful noises starting around 2315 UTC. As you can see by my repport, it is the best showing of this long-saught pirate ! (Chiochiu-QC)

9880 KUWAIT,   Radio Kuwait, Kabd NOV 18 2020 - man in AA speach of a (pephaps) strong religious CONNOTATION (the word "CONNOTATION" makes me more powerful !). Mention of "Baba" (father in AA, perphaps ref. to Allah wich is officially their father and unoficially a sadic extraterrestrial just like the masochrist - Bogdan) and of "islami". Very good when tuned to 9878 AM Narrow in order to reduce 9885 splatter. SINPO 44444. SINPO 52342 when tuned right to 9880 ! (Chiochiu-QC)

Bogdan speaks: I have ommited some logs of Radio Reloj 570 and of Radio Monte Cristi 580, since I can't find the tape and I don't remember the music nor the commercial ads, let alone the IDs. The same goes for HJAJ-760 (Barranquilla). Otherwise, I was glad I picked up YVQO-640 and PJB-800, the last one, though more or less impossible in my situation, being a new one for me ! A big surprise this season has been Puerto Rico 580, very regular, though its strenght leaves a bit to desire. As far as Cuba goes, everyone is picking up Rebelde, Progreso and Reloj way over the weaker US signals, all over North America, so reporting them is of little revelance.

May the good DX be with you !
Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
"L'épanouissement sexo-tactil d'Anabelle sera induit autant par le plaisir sexo-affectif que par une intellectualisation efficace !"