[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 457

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

I personally curate this now resuming series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

"Why Corporations Need to Think More about Society and Less about Profit"
FUTURE TENSE - ABC RN (Radio National)
Do corporations have a role in promoting the common good? Legal expert William Magnuson says they once did and now need to rediscover their true social purpose. He mounts a counterintuitive argument for why big business should think less about money and more about society.
Also, new research on the effectiveness of Carbon, Capture and Storage.
Guests:
Dr William Magnuson – author and Associate Professor of Law, Texas A&M University
Bruce Robertson – Energy Finance Analyst, IEEFA (Institute for Energy, Economics and Financial Analysis)
Future Tense - The Real Worth of Net Zero is Debateable
Magnuson, William: For Profit: A History of Corporations
Presenter: Antony Funnell  (28”)

“How Can We Better Regulate Digital Platforms?”
BIG IDEAS - ABC RN (Radio National)
How do we reign in the social media juggernauts?  The power of Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc is well recognised, as are the harms caused by these monoliths: breaches of privacy, fake news that can threaten democracy, manipulation, abuse, and hate speech.  Most agree we need better governance of digital platforms, but how can we regulate them, without over-reaching?
Panel discussion presented by QUT's Digital Media Research Centre. Recorded on October 5, 2022. Moderated by Paul Barclay
Speakers:
Nic Suzor – Professor, QUT Law School and Digital Media Research Centre; member of Facebook/Instagram's Oversight Board.
Tegan Cohen — Lecturer, PhD candidate, QUT Law School.
Daniel Angus — Professor of Digital Communication, QUT
Ariadna Matamoros-Fernández — Senior Lecturer, Digital Media, QUT.  (55”)

— —

A monthly compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, will resume in December's CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, ham radio outlet.