[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 294

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning in what sometimes seems like a vain attempt to diminish the results of sitting behind a desk for 35 years.  The act of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by “podding along” while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.  So it is with the time spent commuting to work day after day.

Podcasting has expanded almost exponentially so very quickly that it can justly be considered a medium all its own.  Therefore, the attempt here has to be to highlight only a small portion of it, just one corner where excellence reigns.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Here’s another in a continuing series of small samplings, offered in a 90 minute scope (more or less):

— —

“Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down: The New World of Online Reviews"
UNDER THE INFLUENCE - CBC Radio One
We now live in the era of never-ending customer reviews. You can leave reviews on a company, a cup of coffee and even your dentist. It's interesting that in this post-truth era, 65 per cent of us trust online reviews.  Especially when they are so hard to police.  Yet, almost all of us use online reviews before buying a product. Or before going to a new restaurant. And we leave reviews for everything now from a haircut to an Uber driver. And we hope the reviews we see are as honest as the reviews we give.  But what happens when a negative review has a negative impact on a brand, and that brand decides to sue? (29”)
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence/can-you-be-sued-for-leaving-a-negative-online-review-1.5518698

“Millennials and Business""
THE WHY FACTOR - BBC World Service
Whether it is the growth in co-working spaces around the world full of 20 and 30-somethings starting their own thing, to TV shows on entrepreneurship, all the way to the big successes out of California’s Silicon Valley, the millennial generation are attracted to starting their own businesses. However, it is not just about making money but also about passion and doing good. Christine Selph from Deloitte and professor Ethan Mollick from the Wharton School of Business give us an overview of this generation and of entrepreneurship. We go to a session run by Pop Up Business School to speak to some millennials about their motivations. Ayzh founder Zubaida Bai and Upstart founder Richard Dacalos tell us about the power of social entrepreneurship to solve problems which can be neglected by governments, while former World Bank economist Charles Kenny cautions us about focusing too much on the individual at the expense of government.  (24”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3csyv0v

“The Aging Brain: It Ain’t All Downhill"
ALL IN THE MIND - ABC RN
Growing older is something we only get to do if we’re lucky, so why are so many of us unenthusiastic about the prospect of aging? We speak to neuroscientist and author Dan Levitin about his new book 'The Changing Mind', which looks at the ways the brain actually improves as we age, and how we can help it. (30”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/the-ageing-brain:-it-aint-all-downhill/12125478

__ __

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
NEW! 184 page 9th EDITION available NOW from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]