Re: [Swprograms] Fwd: [NASWA] Program changes at Radio Australia

Re: [Swprograms] Fwd: [NASWA] Program changes at Radio Australia

I think you have it pretty well nailed, Rich.  RA has been doing a lot of
research into what works (and doesn't) in their target areas.  The use of Radio
National and other domestic network content was always seen as a stopgap measure
until RA had the resources to--once again--support its entire 24 hour schedule.
(You might recall that, at one time, it did.)  There was a question some years
ago as to whether it should go back to a daypart schedule (i.e.: less than 24/7)
or stick with a full time service.  It opted for the latter, added a ton of
domestic content and began lobbying the government for more funds.  It has
steadily cut back on domestic content as it has expanded its "home grown"
product.  It will still use a few programs from Radio National and is now
partnering with ABC Newsradio (which has recently had its own challenges) for
five hours a day... but the "renovation" is intended to cut out an identity for
the station that allows it to effectively compete with audiences in its target
area (Asia and Pacific, especicially in population centers where it has 24/7 FM
accessibility) leveraging its known strengths--its authoritive (in the region)
news service and audience interaction shows.  Hence the new emphasis on "talk"
programming--which frankly resembles the kind of radio we once had
here--conversation, music, phone-in, variety type stuff.

Parenthetically, they now have two separate streams (programs are sometimes
identical), one carrying the Asian service, the other the Pacific service which
will be reflected on the shortwave frequencies as well.  (We, owing to geography
and propagation, will get only the Pacific service for the most part.)  They've
also eliminated the "Multilingual" stream and replaced it with individual
streams for all their non-English language services.

John Figliozzi
Halfmoon, NY