Re: [Swprograms] Fifty Years Of Human Spaceflight – BBC World Service examines The Yuri Gagarin Legacy

Re: [Swprograms] Fifty Years Of Human Spaceflight – BBC World Service examines The Yuri Gagarin Legacy

On that date in 1961, I was living in Denison, Texas, birthplace of President Eisenhower, (back in the days when presidents had real birth certificates 8^) listening to Radio Moscow on my Collins R-388 receiver.  They played a recording of Yuri Gagarin speaking from space describing what he could see out the window.  He said he saw plowed fields and railroad tracks among other things.  Shortly thereafter a press release by some US "experts" announced that the descriptions proved that the flight was a fake because human visual acuity was insufficient to see such things from space.

I had a reel-to-reel tape recording of the Radio Moscow broadcast that got lost someplace between New Jersey and New Mexico on a moving van around 1978.  Luckily I had made a cassette copy of that tape.  It got lost someplace after 1995 but not before I made another dub and passed it to my SWL buddy, Chuck Rippel, who gave it to his daughter's school teacher.  That may be the only remaining copy in the USA if she hasn't lost it.  I hope the BBC has found another copy to use in their special broadcast.  It is truly goose-bumpy stuff.

Joe Buch