Re: [Swprograms] [Internetradio] [dxld] Defunding public broadcasting

Re: [Swprograms] [Internetradio] [dxld] Defunding public broadcasting

It's always been an ideological attack -- 'twas so in Mr. Gingrich's attack in the 1990s.

Some additional observations:

1) For the most part, the public radio vs. religious radio battle tends to happen at the time of station licensing by the FCC when interests from both camps compete for new licenses.  I cannot recall any instances where existing public radio licenses were sold to religious broadcasters due to a funding challenge, though I suppose that could happen.

2) Joe Buch is correct in that direct CPB funding is a comparatively small portion of most radio stations' budgets.  However, CPB does have a bigger funding stake in syndicated public radio programming; I know of several syndicated classical music programs that receive a good-sized chunk of funding from the CPB; the programs then get other revenue from syndication fees from the stations.  Loss of CPB funding could more quickly jeopardize individual programs than stations themselves.

One would hope that the capital that's been available for recent commercial-to-public conversions such as KUSC-KDFC (San Francisco), KING (Seattle), WQXR (NYC) and WCRB (Boston) would be available for these stations at risk as well.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA