[Swprograms] LARRY WAYNE LOCATED IN SWEDEN! on air today

[Swprograms] LARRY WAYNE LOCATED IN SWEDEN! on air today

Christian, I saw in an old Glenn Hauser DX Listening Digest (8-082 from July 18, 2008) that you were wondering what happened to Larry Wayne of the Deutsche Welle. I have thought about him over the years, too, as he was one of my inspirations for becoming a radio announcer, I job I held for nearly 10 years. It has been 15 years since I've been behind a mic professionally, though, as I've been working in information technology for some time.

As a young SWL and budding ham, I listened to Larry often. My radio club, the Chicago Area DX Club, had him as a guest speaker at a meeting in the Fall of 1986. Read about it in this link: http://home.earthlink.net/~dxchicago/CADX_meetings.htm
I was away at college, and I called into the meeting long-distance.

Anyhow, in looking for Larry I came across your posting in the DXLD, so I thought I'd pass along what I learned:

I learned from a fellow former-CADX member, Austin Kelly, that Larry has a jazz show in Sweden where he now lives. You can learn more from this link: http://www.larryjazz.com/

Thanks to Austin for tracking that down. I also tracked down a link to Larry's book: "Radio Man" by Lawrence Wolfberg:  http://www.lulu.com/content/hardcover-book/radio-man/3089856

And then I found an e-mail address for Larry, wrote him and he replied to me this evening:

*** Please do not reproduce the e-mail I included above as it was written to me personally and Larry's permission to reprint it should not be inferred. ***

I hope you enjoy this information and learning about what Larry is doing these days. 73 DE (Rob Sobkoviak, K9NYO, Jan 9, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

So his jazz program is Mondays at 20-22 UT. Link to the 103.9 FM station with live streaming: http://www.radioactive.se/ (gh, DXLD)

Rob: Wow! Wow! Absolutely fantastic! I'm glad you copied Glenn in on the communication too. I hope he can reproduce the non private part of this communication for other Larry Wayne or Random Selection fans.

It`s amazing to learn how Larry had an influence on you. And great to learn that he still works on the air - even if it`s in Sweden.

I used to listen to his show on Sunday nights and very much enjoyed the tongue and check [sic] look at Germany. I was thrilled when he read a few of my letters over the air (remember when we used to actually send letters and not email...LOL).

I really miss the shows on shortwave like his. Seems like the world seemed much larger than it does now - doesn't leave much for the imagination when you can click a button today and "see and hear it all live". Sitting next to the shortwave and really listening made it all so interesting. Perhaps the elements of the cold war did too. I recognize that Europe cut costs by ending transmissions to North America but I think they were a great way to hear news and European culture shows. Oh well, things change.

In any case thanks so much for sharing the update about Larry. I`ll check out the links when I get home. 73s de (KA1TEF, Christian Tyrrell, ibid.)