Re: [Swprograms] The Reality of Digital Television Doesn't Meet the Hype -- Whose Fault Is That? - washingtonpost.com

Re: [Swprograms] The Reality of Digital Television Doesn't Meet the Hype -- Whose Fault Is That? - washingtonpost.com

Interesting that the US view of digital TV is disappointment.

In the UK digital terrestrial television is standard definition, not high definition but it offers extensive text services and some degree of interactivity. It obviously doesn't compare well to the Internet as an information source in terms of breadth but it would meet most of the promises in that article.

It also includes some 10's of radio channels (including World Service - a nod towards the topic here !)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought North America had used digital TV to introduce High(er) Definition TV so there was less capacity for additional services.

The UK is perhaps a quarter of the way through a phased digital switch over and there seems to be surprisingly little complaint here.

Mark Hawkins