Re: [Swprograms] BBC Newscast Shifts Lineup on U.S. Public TV Stations

Re: [Swprograms] BBC Newscast Shifts Lineup on U.S. Public TV Stations

Rob is correct.

FCC rules require cable companies to convert digital signals to analog for any full power stations within a certain radius from the company's head end.  (I think it is 38 miles.)  They are required to do so as long as they have any analog channels left on their system including shopping channels, "gospel huxters", etc.

Another FCC rule prevents cable companies from encrypting the must-carry OTA digital signals.  That means that if you buy a TV with a QAM digital tuner you will be able to watch these channels without renting a cable box.  If the station is broadcasting in HD format you will see the program in HD if your set is also capable of displaying HD pictures.  You do not have to rent a separate cable HD box or pay for HD service to see these channels in HD.  (You may have to subscribe to more than basic cable to do this as legacy systems typically insert traps to chop off any signals above channel 23 or so including those that carry the digital off-air signals.)

Cable systems are allowed to reduce the data rate of digital signals but not to the point where the picture becomes perceptably degraded.  "Perceptable degradation" is not defined by the FCC so it is in the eye of the beholder.  (If you can get your local stations over the air, you may get a sharper picture if the cable guy's perception of degradation is less critical than yours.)

These rules are to be revisited in 2011 and if not amended or extended will sunset in 2012.  After that you will need a cable box to see anything.

Joe Buch