To: "Shortwave programming discussion" <swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 9:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Swprograms] RNW to end shortwave usage to North America

-08 schedule change

Sandy,
To me it is not the "romance" of radio (although I feel that also), but a practicality and its simplistic/low-cost nature for the recipient. Unfortunately it is the high costs on the transmission side that are driving these decisions to cut broadcasts.

Strange at it may sound when I say it, I actually consider the future of Internet and computers for the average person to be short term and dated, to be reversed within my remaining lifetime even here in the U.S. It will be replaced by something not yet more technological, but the opposite, in a return to less technological means of communications, for which basic analogue radio will be well suited again. And this will be due to other forces, also economic in nature, but driven more by resources (or I should say the lack of), rising costs, and "security." I just hope international radio hangs on to see that day. Otherwise a very huge vacuum will develop for the average person in getting international news and programming.

Kevin Anderson