Re: [Swprograms] timer-recording Internet streams

Re: [Swprograms] timer-recording Internet streams

Short answer:

I can help you with all of this...I do it on a near-daily basis.

I am not familiar with Audio Recorder Deluxe, but I can point you to a
couple freeware programs that will do what you want.

If Audio Recorder Deluxe has the capability to be started from the
command line, and you know the syntax required to stop & start
recordings, then you could use Task Scheduler (built into all versions
of Windows since '98) to create an event to launch the URL for the
stream itself (something like c:\windows\iexplore
http://www.audioprovider.com/stream.rm) and then a second event to
launch Audio Recorder Deluxe.

For Windows XP, Task Scheduler is in the Control Panel - under "Scheduled Tasks"

The problem is that you need to close down the browser window and
audio program when you're done.

To do that, I used to use a freeware program called Task Terminator --
see http://tucows.menanet.net/preview/195792.html I think.  You can
run that program - again as a scheduled event -- to shut down the two
programs.

I am not sure what the current state of Task Terminator is - a quick
Google search yielded a dead URL for the developer.

Google then led me to
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/close_window_software/ -
there's an app there called Wixkill that looks to do the same thing.

--

Another all-freeware approach uses the following:

1) Hard Disk Ogg -- see http://www.fridgesoft.de/harddiskogg.php - to
record the audio

2) Windows Task Scheduler -- can run Hard Disk Ogg from the command
line with various switches and options

3) Task Terminator or Wixkill to close the browser window and Hard
Disk Ogg when done.

--

Meanwhile, an answer to your second question really will solve the first one.

I use Replay AV from Applian Technologies -- see
http://www.applian.com/replay-av/

It costs $49 but to me has been well worth the hassle.  No affiliation
with the firm, just a satisfied customer.

It automates all of this stuff, including recording at specific times
of the day.

--Captures embedded URLs so you can specify the exact URL for the audio stream
--Starts and stops multiple recordings
--Allows capture of multiple SIMULTANEOUS recordings because it
doesn't use your audio card -- it simply intercepts the audio stream
as it comes to you
--Converts captured files from various formats to MP3/OGG/WMA so you
can play them on portable devices
--Allows scheduling one time / every day / weekly
--Renames the output file sensibly so you can find it later

One reason I haven't kept up with Task Terminator is because I now use
Replay AV for all this.

--

There are other audio software packages out there, but I don't know if
they have all the needed bells & whistles.

I wrote an article about this for MT about 4 years ago.  Let me know
offline if you want a digital copy...it contains all the steps I
mentioned here.

Contact me offline with any questions regarding the process.  I do
this so often it's like faling off a log.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA