Re: [Swprograms] BBC World in USA

Whether or not we want it, we have chosen to accept it.

The choices on offer have always been limited by someone, whether with
commercial interests or with other interests.  That's why blogs and
podcasts have become so intriguing -- sure, the content quality can be
spotty, and you have untrained journalists, but at least it's much
easier now for an individual to create their own alternative news if
they don't like what's on.

It would be interesting to speculate on how the US media market would
have evolved if the bias in the 1920s and 1930s had been on public
service programming (as in Canada with the CBC) versus privately-owned
stations.

Meanwhile, bringing this back to radio, it's interesting to see how
the US public radio influence (in news reporting and analysis) has
grown over the past 30 years while the influence of commercial radio
for newsgathering and reporting has disappeared.

Richard C / Allentown PA