From: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Cuff
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 2:29 PM
To: Shortwave programming discussion
Subject: Re: [Swprograms] BBC World Service North American Stream

It might come back, but I wouldn't stake my reputation on it.  (Not
that my reputation is worth a hill o' beans anyway.)

That seemed to be a "back door" feed left alive from the days when
Mark Cuban (he of the NBA Dallas Mavericks) ran Broadcast.com in the
days before the speculative Internet bubble burst.  Back then, both
Windows Media and Real versions were available.

Broadcast.com was purchased by Yahoo and folded into their Launchcast
service, but they stopped offering hosted services to "branded"
stations to focus on their own music offerings.

I have been surprised that the North American Windows Media stream
lasted as long as it has, given that it was no longer promoted by
Yahoo or the BBC.

I took a quick look at some of the entries for the Americas stream on
the PRF website, and the majority of the time another streaming source
airs the same program at the same time.

If there were specific programs airing at specific times that you were
interested in, you could visit the World Service Americas page here -
http://www.publicradiofan.com/cgibin/station.pl?stationid=2 - select
the program / time slot of interest, select the red "i" next to that
program, and then see when that program is on air.  If streams other
than the Americas streams carry the program at that time, they'll show
up in the list.

For example, World Business Report -- currently airing -- is also
airing on six other streams.

Interesting that the canned message uses the term "event" -- as if
Yahoo is hosting something like a shareholder's meeting or other
event-specific streamed audio.

I know Kevin Kelly looks at the swprograms list; hopefully he'll spot
this and, for now, remove the stream from the BBC list.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA

On Feb 7, 2008 1:22 PM, Sandy Finlayson <sfinlayson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I noticed last weekend that the BBC World Service North American
Stream
> which used to be available on Windows Media has disappeared.  It is
> still listed on the Public Radio Fan site
>
> http://www.publicradiofan.com/cgibin/station.pl?stationid=2
>
> ...but when you click on the feed you get a canned message saying
'this
> feed has not started'.
>
> Does anyone have information on what is happening with this feed?

URL shown above.