From: Richard Cuff <rdcuff@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Oct 12, 2007 6:06 AM
Subject: BBCWS on XM

Hi, Peter -

Thanks for the note.  No, I hadn't heard that.  I had a Sirius
subscription for more than a year, but dropped it.  On Sirius, the
programming mix is the same as on NPR stations, which is heavily
skewed towards news programming.

I agree with you -- the loss of the "rich mix" of BBCWS programming
would be a shame, given the variety of programming produced.

The schedule pages at the World Service website still seem to indicate
the "rich mix" is on XM -- at 1930 GMT (3:30 PM ET) the music
interview series "Close Up" is shown on today's schedule, vs. "World
Briefing" and then "Business Daily" on Sirius.

It might have been a slip-up...wouldn't be the first time...

The BBCWS has made no secret that the overall mission of the service
has been to shift towards news and away from entertainment...this has
been ongoing for several years.

I also maintain an e-mail list called 'swprograms' that talks about
international broadcaster programming and strategies...a link to the
list is shown at the blog.

Nice to hear from you!

Best regards,

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA

International broadcasting / shortwave blog:
http://www.intlradio.blogspot.com