[Swprograms] Slightly OT: FCC commissioner Copps Expresses Doubts Over Media Mergers

[Swprograms] Slightly OT: FCC commissioner Copps Expresses Doubts Over Media Mergers

In today's WSJ.

"Mr. Copps said he isn't convinced the proposed merger of
satellite-radio companies Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. and rival XM
Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. should be allowed to proceed.

"Sirius and XM made several pledges regarding pricing and new packages
it would offer to subscribers after the merger was complete. One
includes a pledge to let customers choose stations on an individual,
or a la carte, basis.

"Mr. Copps's comments suggest he remains unconvinced that these
pledges go far enough to win his vote.

"'Someone's going to have make a pretty powerful and potent
demonstration to me that this is in the public interest,' he said."

Full article:  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119092400934641600.html?mod=loomia&loomia_si=1
or http://snipurl.com/1rczn

One has to wonder if any delays prove hurtful to both companies no
matter how the FCC rules, as I suspect new subscriptions are way down
as people hold off until the future of either or both companies is
determined.  I know I'd be sitting tight.

Richard

--
Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA

International broadcasting / shortwave blog:
http://www.intlradio.blogspot.com