Re: [Swprograms] Answer (Re: Power consumption of WiFi Internet radio tuners?)

Re: [Swprograms] Answer (Re: Power consumption of WiFi Internet radio tuners?)

The term Watts per hour is a nonsequitur as Mr. Spock used to say.  A device consumes Watts.  How many Watts is a function of the design and the volume level you play the radio.  If a device that consumes 1 Watt is on for an hour, it consumes a Watt-hour of electricity.  If the cost of electricity is $.10 per kilowatt hour, the cost of operating your radio for an hour will be 15/1000 x 0.10 = $0.0015.  You have bigger things to worry about.

Joe

Kevin Anderson <k9iua@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In answering my own question, I contacted the sales department
of Tangent Audio (home based in Denmark), the manufacturers of
the Tangent Quattro, one of the Reciva-powered internet audio
["radio"] appliances on the market. They in turn contacted
their technical department and got me an answer:

Depending on what normal listening volume is, from 12 to 15
watts/hour.

About what I was expecting. More than a radio, but certainly
less than a laptop and far less than a common desktop computer.
Obviously not counted in this is the power consumption of the
cable or dsl modem, plus wireless router/access point, needed
minimally to use a wireless internet audio appliance such as the
Tangent Quattro in one's home.

Power consumption may not matter to most people, but it does to
me.

Kevin Anderson

--
Kevin Anderson, Dubuque IA USA, K9IUA