[Swprograms] WiFi, WiMAX, & Internet "Radio"

[Swprograms] WiFi, WiMAX, & Internet "Radio"

In all the discussion of these "wirelessly accessing Internet audio"
devices and facilities, I have still *never* read or heard of anyone
taking one of these "Internet radio" devices and pulling an
assortment of programming out of the air off the net WITHOUT
using a home-computer-controlled local network or the like.

I really want to see a report from someone who walked into a
Wi-Fi-equipped coffee shop or is in a city with a region-wide
WiFi or WiMAX and, using *just* an Internet-audio device,
listened to gh's "World of Radio" and science programs from
RN, RA, CBC, and the BBC. That is, was able to access specific
programs, not just tune in a continuous web stream of a
broadcaster.

Is this yet possible or not? If not, what will it take to make it
happen? If it IS available, what should I buy to get this
capability?

Is this ever envisaged to happen without "logging in" or
making some sort of payment for the service?

73, Will Martin
Saint Louis, MO (where there is publicity that we *will* have
some sort of city-wide WiFi eventually somehow...)