Re: [Swprograms] 60% of BBC WS audience still listens on shortwave

(See continued carping below...)

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Cuff <rdcuff@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:32 pm
Subject: Re: [Swprograms] 60% of BBC WS audience still listens on
shortwave
To: Shortwave programming discussion <swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Said powers that be in Bush House would claim that this shows the
> brilliance of their strategy.  They'd say that here in the good
> ol' US
> of A the odds of that capricious shutdown happening by governmental
> fiat are nil.

Well, of course they would.... and of course they would.  To which I
would reply, we live in an often dangerous and capricious world.

> The BBC gambled back in 2001 that those listeners who were motivated
> enough to seek them out via alternative technology could effectively
> do so.  Those listeners who weren't so motivated probably weren't
> worth counting, anyway...at least in *their* eyes.

A convenient and self serving syllogism, is all.  Puts me in mind of
the thinking of a former girlfriend... "Well if you're not willing to
swim naked across the Atlantic to visit me, then you just must not
love me enough."  I didn't and I didn't.

(Yes, pure fiction... but it illustrates the point.)

And so it goes....

John Figliozzi