[Swprograms] 60% of BBC WS audience still listens on shortwave

[Swprograms] 60% of BBC WS audience still listens on shortwave

The BBC has only itself to blame in losing access to
its radio audience in Russia (Russia forces World
Service off FM radio, August 18). International
broadcasters have, over recent years, reduced
investment in shortwave transmission in favour of FM
rebroadcasting with partner stations and on the
internet. These may be cheap, but can simply be
switched-off by national governments, whereas
shortwave can always get through.
Jonathan Kempster
London
(Guardian letters, August 20)

Jonathan Kempster (Letters, August 20) should be
reassured that short wave is still an important means
for audiences to listen to BBC World Service
broadcasts. In fact, nearly 60% of our 183 million
weekly listeners around the world listen on short
wave. In Russia the proportion is even higher.
Globally, the BBC has remained the most successful
international broadcaster at a time of seismic changes
in media markets, emerging technologies and increased
competition.

One of the key reasons is because we have been
flexible and agile at responding to changing audience
demands by matching the prevailing local media market
conditions to the appropriate delivery methods. A
"mixed economy" approach brings dividends. For
instance, despite the recent setbacks with our FM
partners in Russia, the majority of Russians access
our radio services via short wave, medium wave, online
and satellite.
Richard Sambrook
Director, BBC Global News
(Guardian letters, August 22)