[Swprograms] Big Ben to fall silent for maintenance

>From the Yahoo UK radio group.  Does Big Ben make any regular
appearances on the World Service anymore?  I honestly haven't heard it
on any WS programming in years.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike Terry <miketerry73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Aug 8, 2007 3:41 PM
Subject: [uk-radio-listeners] Big Ben to fall silent for maintenance
To: BDXC News <bdxc-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: uk radio listeners <uk-radio-listeners@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Eddie Mair, presenter of the PM programme on BBC Radio 4, reports that from
Saturday 11th August for about a month, Big Ben will fall silent for
maintenance work. He has been soliciting ideas for what should replace it on
the BBC. So far there are about 200 comments on the PM website, some funny
and some just silly.

Many people don't seem to realise that the broadcasts of Big Ben on the BBC
are always live. Many years ago, I remember meeting a shortwave listener at
a convention in the United States, and he was adamant that the BBC used a
recording.

(Media Network)