Re: [Swprograms] TWICE - HD Radio Awareness Up, But Survey Says Interest Low

Re: [Swprograms] TWICE - HD Radio Awareness Up, But Survey Says Interest Low

<<At first glance, $100 doesn't seem too bad...but I thought some more,
and realized that unless I knew in advance that I could hear alternate
stations I couldn't hear with a regular radio (or my Internet
connection), then I wouldn't spring for the $100.

Now, a WiFi "radio" for $100?  That would pique my interest...

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA>>

I wouldn't spring $100 for an HD radio either, but I got lucky when I attended the introductory ceremony for the HD channel at our local public radio station WHYY.  I won the door prize, a Boston Acoustics HD Receptor Radio.

I have not spent much time exploring HD channels, and don't find all that much of interest to me on the internet listings for HD stations in the area(like <http://www.hdradio.com/index.php>).   I have not tried it on the AM band at all yet.   If I were into classical music more, I could find a lot of it on WHYY's HD channel.  I can get their BBCWS programs and NPR programs at times different from their regular FM broadcast times, which is kind of handy (but I could do that on the internet, too, of course).  It is "kind of" portable, in that it is a small unit with 2 separate small speakers, so it's easily moved from room to room, or could be set up in a hotel room when I'm in another city.  The sound is great, and the remote control is very handy.  Since I'm now living in the (almost) suburbs, the WHYY HD channel occasionally drops out, but this is probably cured by adding more wire to the short wire antenna that comes with the radio, or by better positioning.

Anyway… I don't think I would have spent any money on an HD receiver if I hadn't gotten this freebie.  I will report back when I have time to do more listening, if anyone's interested.

Saul Broudy
Philadelphia, PA  USA